Thursday, February 01, 2018

Pictures From My Life- February 1


My orchids.  I used to think they were fussy and hard to grow and keep live.  They aren't.  They are members of the "s.l.o.w" movement.  This one came home with me after a great accident at work broke off the flowering stem.  Water crashing down on the orchid table.  I noticed several buds of future stems.  So I purchased it at it's discounted "out of bloom" price.  And waited.

It's been a long wait.  Most of the summer and the fall and now winter.  And now it is blooming.  You can see two of the six (!!!) flower spikes in this picture I took with my phone. There are more on the underside and back of the plant.  I think it is very happy to still be alive after that crash in the greenhouse.  Two other "rescues" from different times are also making flowers. Loving that.

G is out snowplowing the recent snowfall.  Never ending but snow is better than ice.  And it doesn't feel as cold today.  It's February.  Sigh.  We're almost done.

I spent some of yesterday sewing 3 inch squares together.  The pattern isn't all that complicated but I keep sewing the wrong one to the wrong side.  Now they are lined up on the floor.  And I check twice before sewing.  And I am trying to get all the penguins right side up.

I am reading but finding that the books I checked out--I already read.  Darn.  My new lenses are taking a long time to get made--trifocals.  Lots can go wrong.  But I did find a new series of books for G and he is very happy the book one.

We are having baked beans and grilled cheese sandwiches today.  Yesterday I had two very large bowls of spring greens in a salad.  The beets are still awaiting their turn in the salad bowl.  It's that time of year when nothing seems appetizing.  Been there, eaten that, don't want to again.


No comments: