Sunday, February 25, 2018

Pictures From My Life- February 24


Some of the painted fabric in blue and green (can you find the green circles?).  And, YES, I will show you how easy it is to paint your own fabric.  I just need to "do it" and take photos.

And, "space and time and desire" worked together and I looked in my pile of fabrics on my little rolling cart (for something else) --and there it was--that special green batik that I thought was all gone.  What a delightful surprise.  I had it right where I could find it---which is a real joke.

The piece at the top would have benefited from my "future" interest on the "roots" of things below the surface.  There are three seeds.  I put those in every piece.  But the leaves should have stopped at the inset rectangle and the bottom should have been an earthy color with roots etc.  Since nothing of might (-and I meant to type mine) is ever really finished-I may just cut the bottom ⅔rds off and add a new bottom.  This was made long before my Master Gardener training.

This spell check on the computer is getting really interesting. My daughter mentioned to me that on her text messages--the program on the iPhone seems to have learned her speech patterns and starts finishing her sentences before she has even started typing the words.  She finds this very creepy.

And now I am finding words I didn't mean to type which are sort of sending me "meanings" I hadn't thought of.  Nothing of might.  Is ever finished.   This gives me quite a lot to think about.

Typing.  In high school I was never good at typing.  I couldn't give over control of the keyboard-had to always look at the keys.  But... for most of my life I have typed.  For the Women's Club Newsletter--I started with looking at the keys with every word but at some point I realized I wasn't looking any more.  I was typing with all 10 fingers. No one else would type because it actually was WORK and most of the members didn't want to do any work.  The electric typewriter I used was very fancy. The text was in columns-no correction. Not a computer but it was professional grade. 1983.  And then we got the Mac and I typed the private school PTA newsletter in columns while continuing to type the Women's Club Newsletter.....there really were no volunteers.  This took days and days every month.

Pity the family if I forgot to hit "save" every 10 minutes on the Mac.  The good old days.  Then when we returned to America, I volunteered to type the Leaflet for the Morton Arboretum's Botanical Art Group (I was a new member).  Columns also but I needed to start and finish with even edges and top and bottoms and leave spaces for ads. Now that went into a real computer (always Apple) and was saved on a disc and then printed professionally.  From there I went to work for a newspaper and created ads.  Work = Typing.

And here I am....... I never could find a job typing here in Maine until I discovered blogging.

No comments: