Monday, February 19, 2018

Pictures Of My Life- February 19


Works I made as a "Friend Of" but not a member of the Twelve by Twelve Group on the internet. Abstract fiber works.  Like painting but with fabric.  I have a collection of these.  I found them all at the bottom of a box (in the Attic).  I never liked the 12 by 20 size but it made me stretch as I worked on them. I think Jude Hill would call it "long cloth".  Each of the six uses the same handful of fabrics but used in very different ways. This wasn't part of the challenge but it is what I did to make the finished group cohesive. Don't worry--you'll see all six.  They are even here in the archives.

I am attempting Jude's first cloth class on my own.  Just to learn. I have listed the simple requirements (any soft, old cloth you find--even old clothing) for the first nine patch.  Also a theme.  Which I cannot (could not) conjure.

Which brings me back to the work up at the top.  Each had a word cue.  I would mull that word cue over in my head all month and finally come to a conclusion of how to make something that defined the words. And now I have come back around to trying to making art to define the words.  My usual method is to just put fabric I like together.  And it doesn't often "work".

Working from some one else's word cue is one thing--coming up with my own was impossible. But then I sat myself down and asked--what are you liking right this minute?  Moons.

So--I wanted Moons.  I am into Moons right now.  I could just make nine squares with moons (just exactly like Jude).  But then I was reminded of the class I am teaching in March.  Container Edibles with a side of Moon Gardens/Gardening.   So---my theme is Moon Garden.

With a theme--I can now look at ideas and fabric and judge--moon? or not moon? and get rid of all the distracting other stuff that doesn't work (right now).  

Now that I consider the concept--this is how I cook.  I open the fridge and decide-- "I am making chicken soup-which of the things in here makes chicken soup ????"

No comments: