Thursday, September 29, 2022

Field Notes- Thursday, September 29th. Hurricane Watching Yesterday and Today.


 It was pretty EPIC yesterday.  Water.  Water is so devastating.

So that was that.  Plus homeowners insurance.  Florida insurance companies not covering Storm or Water damages.  Same here in Maine.  Special -very expensive- policies if we want "water coverage". Are you covered for Storm or Water damages????  Better check.  

I was trying to recall how many years we lived in South Florida.  Our son had just turned 4 when we arrived and in second (actually third) grade when we left.  It seemed longer.  The second/third grade was one of those things...his second grade teacher refused to have him in her class so a third grade teacher volunteered to "take" him.  She never had a moment of trouble with him.  

The second grade teacher was very very sure he was "retarded".  And said that.  The boy sitting next to my son in 2nd grade (in the last row at the back of the room) had a learning disability and my son helped him with his work.  The two of them were ignored by the teacher.

I actually wanted to go into the school and do bodily harm.  They had a professional man come in and give my son an IQ test. (even the Principal was positive the 2nd grade teacher was right)  I might have written about this years ago- it still makes me furious-- anyway the tester was in tears at the end.  He said   he never thought he would get to experience the testing of a child who needed, like two more seconds, to get a perfect score." He went on to say watching my son figure out the problems was so incredible.  The process of solving.

Not retarded.

I was miserable for the entire time we were there.  And this is when I started wearing my wedding ring on my middle finger.  I learned to drive, got a driver's license so I could cash checks, got a job and a credit card-same one I still use today.  So....the rock bottom-ness of it.....created the me you having writing this blog. Today.  What doesn't kill you..makes you stronger.

1 comment:

Kim Carney said...

That makes me so mad just reading about it

I am afraid I would have done something horrible to the teacher