Sunday, September 25, 2022

Field Notes- Sunday, September 25th. Sunshine but chilly. Might be Time for me to start making SOUP


 Interesting door--knob.

My hands are itching.  I have touched something with something on it...I have no idea what is setting my skin off.  But it turns red and itches.  At this moment- both index fingers.  And one thumb.

Husband is mowing the grass with the riding mower.  All the rain- the passing hurricane that hit eastern Canada- and the sunshine.  Grass has filled in and greened up.  

Acorns- the harbinger of Winter.  We have had none for possibly three years now.  This year they are raining down, causing foot pain if I walk on them etc etc.  Usually a heavy amount of acorns means a heavy snow type Winter.  I would be crabby but...we need water.  Ground water.  Deep into the Earth Water.  So, I am hopeful about the abundance of acorns.

If it continues to be cold in the mornings- I am switching from oatmeal to Cream of Wheat with butter and cinnamon for my breakfast.  I haven't had Cream of Wheat in a long time. We haven't had Winter.

I saw a NYT's recipe in the feed I am sent...I can't open it unless I send them money.  I looked on line but I couldn't find the Joan Nathan recipe for a Hungarian Honey Cake for Passover.  Hungarian because that is close to where my grandmother was born- and she baked some awesome stuff..........And the image of the cake looked very very delicious.  It takes 1.5 hours to make and 3 hours to chill and 25 hours to rest. A Project Honey Cake if there ever was one.

There was also a recipe- just the title and the photo- for Pasta with Butternut Squash, Kale and Brown Butter.  I like all those things............

In further Astrology News:  2023 (gosh that sounds so Futuristic) for me.  Introspection (already doing that), Awareness of Time (running out), Self Analysis (sounds like therapy?), Refining Talents  (work). Sounds like an Intense Year.

In Book Reading news-  Dumplin' a YA book by Julie Murphy.  Two kids in high school and one of those Southern Beauty and Talent things.  Texas.  Also the author of If The Shoe Fits a Cinderella type story with guy and a plus sized adult woman.  Dumplin has a plus sized YA girl and an interesting guy plus high school drama. Finished it last night and intend to read it again today.  Lots to unpack. I missed out on this aspect of high school.  Which is why I like reading Travel Back In Time Rom Coms.  Revisionist.

I also saw more of the end of Sixteen Candles.  I saw about 20 minutes of the beginning of the movie weeks ago the Ringwald filled out the questionnaire, dropped in on floor and the cute guy picked it up.. More than a month ago? Longer? And I saw 10 minutes of the ending....sort of recently while clinking thru channels--but I think I should really record the whole thing.  Fast forward past the cringe worthy scenes...so many...  I keep hoping they would show Never Been Kissed again.  I shouldn't have deleted it.  I have no idea- didn't look- as to when these movies came to be.  Whenever it was, I wasn't interested. I don't know.  We could have been living in Germany.

3 comments:

beverly said...

Will this link work for you for Hungarian Honey Cake
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/holocaust-survivors-have-adapted-a-honey-cake-recipe-once-lost-in-the-war/

Butternut Squash link
https://www.mashupmom.com/butternut-squash-kale-browned-butter-pasta/

Joanne S said...

I'll give them both a try Beverly- after I eat my breakfast..............

Kim Carney said...

16 candles ... I love the grandmother cooking breakfast with cigarette ash teetering threatening to fall into the skillet. I personally love that movie, every second.