Saturday, June 20, 2020

Daily Notes- June 20th- Fourteen Weeks



The shirt.  Not the best light but everywhere else I took the shirt- was even less realistic. It is deep and dark and mystical.  And I will be wearing it again- but not this weekend- in the 90's here in Maine. Reminding me of the Summer when it was in the 100's for so many days in a row and not one available AC unit to buy- not even oscillating fans.  That's when we decided to buy ceiling fans-
 as soon as any were available.  Feels like Georgia in Maine.

Also, I watched The Rev (Sharpton) on MSNBC and was schooled on Juneteenth history which- I will admit here- I knew NOTHING about.  This, in fact was the first time even knowing the term.  I had thought it was something "new". Shame on me and shame on the schools I attended.

So- 90 plus degrees.  No window AC units installed (yet) and yesterday late afternoon, we mowed the grass, thinking it would be cooler.  It wasn't and I had to take a break between front and back lawns- because I was seriously overheated.  I had a cold wet dish towel around my head and neck.  Not a breathing break. 
A  heat stroke break.

But the grass looks amazing.  I cut a big circle in the back.  Was really a struggle with pain in left shoulder from the acute left turns to make the left side of the circular paths.  Ever tighter.  The front was straight from left to right.  Last time was from street to house.  The time before a curved path.

The peach tree have been watered this morning and yesterday I got petunias and geraniums into decorative pots out front.  Still haven't done the tomatoes in the Earth Boxes.  Will have to wait thru this heat wave. And the mosquitos were vicious yesterday and today.  The B1 needs more time for husband and myself.  I don't have as many bites as usual so some improvement.  Have been rubbing Witch Hazel on them- which takes away the itch for a few hours. Works best on fresh bites.  Not so much on old ones.

We finished up the lawn just as DQ was closing (7pm) and we still both needed showers.  I am hoping we'll get ice cream at some point today.  Making up for last summer when we never had ice cream at all because Riley wouldn't get into the car.  And we couldn't leave him at home- if we could even catch and drag him into the house- which was seriously so very frustrating as it was often too hot for him outside.

But that is in the past.  Not far enough yet but soon.  I hope.

I made some Rhubarb Sauce.  This is something Maine Natives eat on "hot out of the oven" biscuits for supper in the Summer.  My own Rhubarb Sauce will be mixed into my Noosa yogurts. But truth be told (and I always try to tell the truth here) I would actually enjoy a pan of hot biscuits with sauce.

No comments: