Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Daily Notes- June 17th



This peony just opened it's first flush of flowers.  A more "papery" variety and if I remind myself of what we used to say to customers at the greenhouse- a cross between a herbaceous and Chinese tree peony. Itoh. or some such spelling.  I bought it for my husband who loves all yellow flowers.

 I can see myself falling into the dark center.
The dark rose, the deep yellow and the green.  I also like the pink blush on the inside of the yellow petals. These sturdy flowers would make a lovely bridal bouquet in June.

I woke up and it was already past 9am.  On my Grocery Shopping Day. I was going to be missing out on Senior Hours.  But I also wanted to walk past the grocery, past the library to the post office to buy stamps. I found three enchanting pages of stamps.  One of Hot Wheels for my penpal.

The  grocery hallway did not have any canning jar lids.  I did get 10 pounds of sugar. Every canning recipe starts with sugar.  And some pectin in case I make jelly.  When I got home I sorted thru my canning cardboard box and counted lids. I have 36 wide mouth lids and another 36 of the small jar lids.
The first batch of anything is going into the fridge.  And I will not be doing the canning/boiling part so I can just cap those jars with regular white plastic lids.  
Long term storage items will get canning lids and the boiling kettle treatment in August.
Oh, I can hardly wait for all that washing, cooking, boiling etc. in August.

Nothing is going into the freezer.
Period.
Well, unless it's ice cream or pizza dough or Chinese dumplings or frozen tomatoes.

My daughter dropped off a surprise bag of books.  Obviously she has started reading my blog.
One is going back- Tombland was good but once was enough.
She also went to Goodwill and found a Lindsey romance I have never read. Very excited.

Before the grocery shopping etc- I had to water all my "still in their pots/not the Grow Boxes"- flowers, tomatoes etc. That took some time.  When I got back home I started the sprinkler on the Peaches. When that stopped I got the Fenced Garden sprinkler going.

I wore one of the two shirts Deb L worked her magic on- The blue one.  Lots of interested looks from people walking past.  No conversation.  A few people I know said hello and kept walking. I am trying to be more colorful in my clothing choices.  Not just white shirts and black pants. 
Deb- you made me feel like the most Artistically Best Dressed Person in the Entire Universe.

3 comments:

jbettyb said...

That is a lovely peony, Joanne.

Deb Lacativa said...

Pshaw! Don't you love double/triple takes?

deemallon said...

What? No picture for us? (Of the shirt). The peony and your comments about it are pure loveliness. I've never actually canned. Not once. Or made jelly. What kind of homemaker am I?!
PS I am commenting from the PC where it is possible for some reason. Or rather, for some reason, it is not possible from my phone.