Saturday, March 28, 2020

Daily Notes- March 28th

                                         

The two PBS shows I was wanting to watch last evening- programs listed in the newspaper and the guide on Xfinity- were not shown- instead we got the life story of Teddy Roosevelt.  I had seen this bio before. I would have preferred to watch a lovely Southern Chef make biscuits.  Earlier in the evening I got to watch the Brits working on their French Chateau.  The stuff with the roof was unbelievably dangerous.  And that ladder!!!!  OMG!!

Liz commented on there being no bread in her grocery delivery.  Here in Maine, it's eggs.  I was surprised to see the cooler filled with egg cartons for the first time in weeks.  A large sign said one carton per checkout.  Milk was in short supply and the kind I drink- none at all.  Our store has some sort of in-house bakery so those aisles are well stocked.  I haven't ventured into the paper products aisles so I have no idea what is going on with toilet paper.  Someone called it "personal paper" on the editorial pages.  But (ha) I think it's one package per checkout.

Oddly enough, the outer edges of the grocery- vegetables/fruit/meat/dairy/eggs/frozen foods are well stocked- just like usual times.  The shelving inside - the mid section of the store- that's where things get strange. Sugar, flour, dried beans, pasta, cereal, coffee, canned vegetables or soups.  That's what is hard to find. Those shelves are nearly bare.

I did get ketchup and peanut butter on my last visit and that was a real happy moment. Kraft mac and cheese is just a fantasy right now- never available.

The six feet apart spacing is required in the lines to the cash register.  So that gets quite complicated as only two cashiers are working instead of 8.

Customers are wearing masks and any sort of gloves they own.  Gardening gloves most often.  Hand sanitizer is in a bottle  at the entrance and one must hold and use to apply to hands.  I take a pass on picking up that bottle.

Compared to the frenzy of the first weekend of the shutdown-- this seems okay.  Rather Zen.
I think we are all considering not "if" but "when" we will get sick.

1 comment:

Liz A said...

"not if, but when" ... yes, I believe you are right about that

may you be well ...