Thursday, March 12, 2020

Daily Notes- March 12

                                    

Scraps.  One from DebL and one from me.  The sun is not shining today and there is a chill in the air.

I was hand stitching a fabric collage yesterday- adding additional border strips.  One went on. Then the next two- didn't look right.  So I went into the sewing room to look for scraps that would play well with the others.  That's the thing about using scraps......they aren't endlessly available.  They run out.  They need to be pieced together to make a strip long enough. And then it isn't long enough.

So yesterday, as I looked and the daylight turned to dusk...I was not able to find what I wanted and...I was not able to find something else that spoke to the piece.  Something different. Something unexpected.  No Sun means the search will be difficult today as well.  I could haul everything out to the back deck and look thru it all outside.  But I will more likely, pick up another of the 8 or more collages being made and see if something "to hand" makes the cut.

In the beginnings of making the collages--- with few pieces of cloth- things can work together.  Later with five or more colors- it isn't as easy to add new colors if you can't find more of a cloth already in the collage for some slight continuity.  Well, I could if I went back into the centers and unsewed things and replaced them.  I don't want to get started with too much surface appliqué just yet.

It's frustrating.  Because as soon as I make a deconstruction decision- that cloth I was searching for will show up- stick to my sleeve or my slipper and I will sigh and close my eyes and ask "why?".

We are having baked beans and grilled cheese sandwiches today.  A planned meal.  I announced it at breakfast.  To G and to myself.  Restoring order to the household.

Now, I return to the baskets of cloth scraps to seek and find.  No books to read.  My selected books are not what I thought they were and I will not be reading them.  I ordered two recommended by Connie.  And there was one from the best seller list.  I will order that as well.  Then wait. And sew.

No comments: