Sunday, March 15, 2020

Daily Notes- March 15th

                                       

Our first grocery shopping experience since the Virus came to Maine.  There were empty shelves but I got almost everything on my list.  I needed laundry detergent.  The shelves were mostly empty and I need the no fragrance etc kind.  No liquid but I got those little packets.  Last package.  Deep Breath.

I discovered my bottle of detergent was running low this morning as I washed bedding (I think it might be wise to change sheets etc more often now) and realized I didn't have a backup bottle. And I actually started hyperventilating.  "I need clean clothes". So we jumped in the car and went shopping.

I got bananas because if I am sick (not currently) they are a nice food to eat that doesn't need cooking. I had G stock himself up on bagels and yogurt and orange juice.  Breakfast is a deal breaker meal for him.  I'm good with oatmeal.  But I did buy the very last box of Cream of Wheat.  And I got down on the floor swept the back of the oatmeal section forward so others could get what was left. I forgot to buy peanut butter.

All in all people were very gentle with each other.  A woman had two bags of all purpose flour when I arrived to find no flour at all.  She gave me one.  And we both purchased yeast. Bread baking 101.

I also purchased beans, pasta (I have rice), onions, potatoes, cabbage and carrots.  Easy meal foods. There are assorted frozen proteins in the freezer here at home.  I can dig them out and use them.  It will be a surprise. Yep.

We watched a few hours of Africa on BBC yesterday (very soothing) and then a movie- the Ghost something with Scarlett Johansen. Our first futuristic sci-fi Japanese movie.  That was something unexpected.  I thought it was wonderful to look at even though it was very very strange. I am thinking we will purchase a streaming service going forward.  The one from Amazon.  Perhaps if this goes on for a long time- we'll change it up every month.  Keep things fresh.

Daughter arrived to carry the Christmas Wreaths up into the attic over the garage for us.  She also asked for a list of authors we like and took it with her.  She and her friend (guy who shoveled our driveway) are driving to Portland to a used book store.  Daughter loves books. Guy loves books.  Love searching for books.  And library is closed. Possibly for a very long time.

Three additional new cases of Virus- in Portland.

We are thinking about Chinese Lunch- like we do on Sunday.  But we stayed away from Goodwill.

2 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

My DH has an underlying condition so we have self quarantined. He doesn't go anywhere and hasn't for the last week. I need to go out this week to a craft store to buy some upholstery fabric for a customer, I have a Dr appointment, and grocery shopping. I am going to try that new app where you add the item to your cart, pay online and then go sit in a designated parking spot and they bring the items out to you. Wish me luck. Stay safe my friend.

Liz A said...

the gentleness ... it reminds me of the days after 9/11 when we were so very aware ...