Friday, October 05, 2018

Daily Notes- October 5


Art Propelled, again.

This is the last of what looked like a collection of eco printed fabrics -some with running stitches- all from different sources, I think.

I could make something like this (easily) with small drops of the rust water on mordanted (alum) fabric.  Circles.  Planets.  Moons.  I like them all.

Today I went to the doctor with G.  To write down and remember what he and his doctor discuss.  A very nice doctor.  A memory test or two.  A blood test for thyroid function which can affect memory and a CAT scan.  Also a flu shot.  G's doctor had a large supply--- my doctor had zero of the high dosage ones for the 60 and over crowd.

The Sun is out and the maples are glorious.  All the shades of gold, orange and red.  Our Town's Maine Street is crowded with people and cars.  Traffic was very bad, yet again.  I think its reunion week at Bowdoin. Homecoming.  A very long line at the Taco food truck.

I decided to examine the chopped crunchy salad I have been buying at the deli and make my own.  I sorted thru the last container:  chopped broccoli (mostly stems), cauliflower, sunflower seeds, shredded (very thin) carrots, raisins.  And the binder which I am convinced is mayo.  I will add pecans and pumpkin seeds.  I have a bag of radishes in the crisper drawer so will chop or shred them and add to the mix. I also bought dried cranberries-- mostly to add to my homemade granola, but I could also add some to the Crunchy Chopped Salad.

Great Patriots game last night and then I started reading another book from the new shelf-- The Comfort Food Diaries.   It wasn't what I expected.  Deals with the author (and her siblings) and alcoholism.  I am one third of the way in.  The reading is sometimes tough on one's heart (it all seems too close to home) but the recipes "read" as amazing.  And Southern, so it speaks to my beginnings as someone who learned to cook in the South.  At the 30% point I am ready to pack up and move back to Georgia for a biscuit, fried apple pie and some BBQ.




No comments: