Saturday, October 13, 2018

Daily Notes- October 13


I like this idea.  A string holding a few leaves on the door.

Very cold here.  I may have to get the furnace going.  The autumnal color show is nearly finished.  All the leaf colors are fading, browning.

I have been carrying things up into the two Attics.  The Magic One and the Ordinary One.  Things that I have allowed to sit around and clutter up the spaces.  Boxes of class handouts I create for the gardening classes I teach.  Researched and then set down into a package for each class.  I took them all up to the Magic Attic.  Not ready to shred them into compostable paper goods.  The ones on Composting take up so much room.  I even had built a small three bin composting model to show in classes.  The Boy Scouts asked if I would let them borrow it for a Scout display.  I said they could have it.  I would layer the browns (dry) and the greens (wet) in the miniature bins as I spoke to the class.

Biggest mistake in composting is too little of the browns (dry).  You need to stockpile as much dry as you can find or scavenge.  Right now I have leaves in a tall pile and a bale of straw to cover my kitchen composting for the winter months.  And I have bags of shredded mail.  If that isn't enough, I shred the daily newspaper as well.  And no worries--the ink is soy based.

My right thumb joint is painful.  I am massaging it.  And my knees from going up the stairs.  I know I am carrying too much weight right now for the knees.  I can work on that.  But the thumb.  I need that hand for my stitching.  From the long Winter of sewing.

No comments: