Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Fabric Containers On Route
I know, from experience, that our taste in "stuff" changes on a seven year cycle. Our favorite colors can sometimes change also. I have always loved polka dots so was not surprised to find an abundance of dotted fabrics. But I was not aware (or had forgotten) my interest in theme fabrics. I have flowered fabric, cowboy fabric, depression era fabric, vegetable fabric, chicken fabric and DUCK fabric. I can only conclude that these "interests" were fueled by a group enthusiasm at chapter meeting and quiltathons. Things I no longer participate in. I also seemed to enjoy buying felted wool. Was I actually going to make one of those antique circle things? Maybe? Looks like I stored my way through two or three seven year cycles.
The non theme fabrics can all be used in the work I now do--rather abstract, but there isn't any use in keeping the themed fabric. No grandchildren and I do not enjoy piecing so I won't be making 25 novelty children's quilts for the local Police & Fire Departments. My friend K has three grandchildren and has had to stop making children's quilts because they don't really like them. And they have a stack in the closet incase they change their minds. So, I can't send the stuff to her. She has one more baby quilt to make so I could ask if she wants fabric for that. Ducks?
In other news: G came home last night and showed me the half a tooth piece of his molar that fell off during his lunch at work. A nice clean break at the gumline and across the middle. He had an emergency dental appointment at 7 this morning. My unprofessional opinion is that he will either be getting root canal and a crown or he will be having an extraction. 50/50. This is what happens when you cancel three regular dental checkups in a row. Bad Things.
Since he couldn't chew food without tearing up the side of his tongue on the rough edges of the break, I had to do some fancy thinking to make him something good and easy to eat. Pronto!!! I made soup. A quickly thrown together broth of onion, garlic, chicken cubes and 2 slices of fresh ginger along with peppercorns and soy sauce. I then found the remainder of the ingredients used in the potstitckers : baby bok choy and shitake mushrooms. And after climbing to the top of the kitchen ladder and into the cupboard, I found some saved packets of rice noodle sticks. I strained the stock, added the greens, noodles and mushrooms. G liked it. It was soothing, soft and just right. G then went to sleep on the couch. He hasn't been having the best month. Thank Goodness it's almost over.
I have bills to sort out, phone calls to make regarding the purchase of a new furnace or repair of the old one. I am continuing a dialogue with a guy interested in a fabric art piece based on a photo he took (and Photoshopped). I have learned the hard way that commission work is nearly impossible to do successfully, especially when you have to educated the customer. He had wanted a pieced bed quilt based on the photo. Imagine years of work. Not this girl.