Wednesday, June 02, 2021

Daily Notes- June 2nd- Supposed to be very HOT today.


 Hand Work.  Someone did the cross stitch on this tablecloth.  Very creatively.  I am removing it as I can see the red thread is staining the cloth under it.  So washing will reduce this to a stained red splotchy cloth and do terrible things to whatever else is in the wash with it.. It's time consuming and after awhile the fingers on my left hand spasm and lock.  So I will need to set a timer.  Limit the time I do this. I love hand sewing but perhaps...only for short periods of time going forward.

This cloth is a small square- 36 or 40 inches square.  Not like the the much larger longer cloths I had to remove poorly done cross stitch from a few years ago.  The red is the full 6 threads.  It wasn't separated into 2 or 3 threads for the work.  My friend remembers her cousin working on this tablecloth. She visited unexpectedly and I would never have had the work out if I had known she was arriving.  Not a great moment.

Heat has arrived.  I have all the windows closed (opened at night) and the ceiling fans going.  If we can keep the house closed- it should be comfortable in here.  Evenings are cool. A cooler front is coming in about four days.

I have stopped watching the news.  I feel like we should be shouting "Danger...Danger... Danger."

I did watch PBS's series on disease yesterday.  How washing hands for a prescribed number of minutes is actually human's best preventive measure.  They imprinted factory workers hands with a stain and they were told to wash with soap until the stain was gone.  The right number of minutes.  Infection rates went down dramatically.  And an epidemic in Seattle.  Flu and how masks and distancing limited the spread. The program went all the way back to the flu epidemic in the early 1900's and to Ebola and Aids later.  

I have already watered the peach trees.  Set the timer while I read the paper.  A new habit. I forget to turn the water off.

I am saving the last third of Fresh Water for Flowers.  Because I don't want to reach the end of this book. Not yet.  Take care...all of you.   Be well and be happy today.

No comments: