Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Daily Notes- May 26th- sunshine but still pleasant outside


 My pie.  We each had a generous wedge of pie last night.  Instead of supper.  That's a crumble topping which might have benefited from additional butter.

I noticed several typos in yesterday's post.  The autocorrect deciding to add it's own words.

I am reading Evvie Drake Starts Over.  Written by a Midcoast Maine author (Linda Holmes) and the story is set in Maine. The Oldest and Whitest State in America.  The author's words not mine.  I sort of gasped when I read that my Town is considered a Tourist Destination Town.  But we do have a horrid August every year with cars from everywhere and not being able to eat in any restaurants because they are booked up solid.  Miserable. I start to have a New York accent if I stay in Town too long.

It's a good story so far.  And the feel of the book and it's words is very Maine.  The Maine I know.  It's taking me time to read and I have a strong feeling when I get to the last page I will start over.  Two troubled broken people sharing a home.  One renting the little apartment behind the larger house. A major league pitcher who can no longer pitch and a woman whose husband tormented her for years and years. Not physical abuse but emotional abuse.  I don't know how it will end.  I am halfway thru and ...well, it's not an easy book or subject. But there are still lovely sweet moments.

If it isn't too hot today- I'll fill a few bare spots in the lawn with grass seed and straw.  My annual flowers are still going in and out every day.  But I could fill one pot- possibly two.  But today is supposed to be hot- so I think it's best to wait. As long as I keep the windows and doors closed- it stays rather nice and cool in the house.  I have the big ceiling fans going.  My daughter and I are discussing the install of window units.  Without accidents.  We'll see.

But for now-  I will make my daily bowl of oatmeal, my cup of coffee and perhaps a toasted raisin bagel. We hardly ever have lunch anymore.  Husband drifts..........and then it's 8 pm.  I ask and suggest but it never amounts to anything.  So I return to the book I am reading.  Life is quiet and quite solitary. 10 am.

No comments: