Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Daily Notes- February 26

                                     

I tried this with my black walnuts.  Rolled cloth around them.  Tied with string. Brought to high heat and then simmered 24 hours.  No result.  Just a light dull brown with no marks.  I was sure direct contact to the soft squishy black inner walnut would color the cloth. No. Everyone is back in the crock pot.  Re-tied.  I have added the decomposed (rusted to flakes) tin cans.  Wrapped cloth around them- the only marks in the first try were rust marks.  So, more rust.  I get better rust marks when I wrap in foil and steam for 20 minutes.  I might just do that going forward.  Just wrap in foil and steam.

It does mark well on paper- the walnut water reduction.  A lovely soft warm brown- translucent. Am now wondering what it would be like to paint the walnut solution onto dry cloth.  I am going to take a cloth out to the garage and do that.  Let it dry. See what happens. Make splotches. I do love an experiment.

The grape juice experiments turned out so great.  The blues are amazing.

No Sun today.  Warm 36 to 40.  But dark and chilly in here.  My hands are cold.  I have so many loads of wash today. Depressing. Sheets, towels and G's entire wardrobe it seems.  Big heavy sweatshirts and flannel lined pants.  Like an entire load of just one sweater and one pair of pants.  I may take a book to read or something to sew- straight seams.  While I keep watch over the washing machine so it doesn't empty all the water on the floors.  I will wrap myself in a blanket.  It is very very drafty in the washing machine area- the drier vent is open to the outdoors.  36 to 40 degrees.

It's been a difficult Month.  Difficult.  On a personal level.  I am more worried about my own care. Who will watch over me?   Well, I will think about that later...right now I am going up into the Attic and hopefully my left ankle will hold steady on the way up and down. Or not.  It's been "or not" for a few days now.  This is new- it's always been my right side that gives me pain and trouble.

1 comment:

Liz A said...

I'm not very experienced with black walnuts, but I think it is the outer (relatively soft) hulls that carry the color