Friday, July 19, 2019

Daily Notes- July 19th


July.  Well, for the past few days, I have woken up each day thinking "today is Friday" and none of them have been Friday.  Today, yes.  But I thought today was going to be Saturday.

I guess I am "on vacation" because on vacation I never know what day it is and have actually almost missed flights back home for not knowing what day it was.

Not that we go on vacation these days.  We just stay home.  Because of me, not him.  He would go go go and I would prefer not to.  Perhaps because in my 30's and 40's I was going somewhere all the Time.  All the Time.

I remembered I had gotten a Zoodle making machine at Goodwill.  So I will be making Noodles with some of the zucchini I will be picking in the garden.   I learned a neat trick from a book during the Year of the Elimination Diet.  Make your zucchini noodles and then let them dry on a cookie cooling wire rack.  Toss them anytime you happen to walk past.  They can be left to "dry" all day and even over night.  The resulting noodles will be dense and chewy--not wet and slippery.

My local grocery has a cooler filled with different kinds of vegetable "noodles".  The one I see in shoppers baskets most often is the noodle made from butternut squash. I am guessing my Goodwill find will cut butternut noodles as well as squash noodles.

I also was reading a recipe for zucchini pizza on my phone late last night before bed.  Shredding the zucchini and then squeezing it dry and then letting it dry a bit in a 300 degree oven spread out on a cookie sheet.  About 10 minutes.  Then proceed with the crust recipe.  A drier dough.  A crispier crust.  I often made zucchini fritters in the summer but they were always soggy in the center.  Perhaps made with a drier batch of shreds the fritters would be a better, drier texture?  I transitioned to using shredded sweet potato in the recipe and liked those fritters much more.

Whatever I make--pickles, noodles or pizza-- it will be made with the abundance of zucchini growing out back in the garden.

1 comment:

Deb Lacativa said...

I never liked zucchini but all these things sound edible to me, unlike the green bread friends were always foisting on me. Seems as if all anyone could grow was zucchini. Pizza!