Saturday, May 18, 2019

Daily Notes- May 18th


Segments.  Pinned but nothing is stitched.  Four by Six inches.  Like an index card.  I do so love index cards.  I have these bits of cloth on the island in the kitchen.  The light from skylights is excellent there.  So, I stand, I look, I move bits here and there.  I walk away.  I glance as I walk past to make a cup of coffee or tea.  Butter a slice of bread.  Peel a banana.  Wash a few plates, bowls and cups.  Water plants.  Answer the phone.  Feed the dog.  The center segment is working best right now. Perhaps it is the only one I need?  None are spirit animals.  I like the way the cloth feels on my finger tips.

I am reading All Saints by Liam Callahan.  A fifty year old woman--a Catholic school teacher- kisses an 18 year old boy.  It isn't going to end well.  I had read the author's third book-- about the woman walking around Paris looking for her lost husband.  Paris By The Book. The books read like the lead character is talking directly to the reader.  Telling me her story.

I am also making my way--mindfully-- thru India Flint's first book.  As a side journey--her story of her grandmother and the feather pillows made to give as wedding gifts by her maternal grandmother--  my own grandmother made and gave me feather pillows when I got married.  I didn't understand.  But now I do and I am rather broken hearted that I never knew how deeply meaningful this gift was for my grandmother.  I didn't know.  How could I know.  But now I do...and I cried.  Even now typing this..tears running down my cheeks.  Oh, grandma--thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you, too.

Isn't it strange how this happens?  What does one call it?  Serendipity?  Synchronicity?

G has gotten the hoses out from under the house.  Not that we need them --as it keeps raining.  The grass is very green.  And we have never had such a bountiful display of forsythia--a blaze of yellow. And the PeeGee Rhodies--a blaze of purple. The hummingbirds are enjoying the flowers. The fruit trees are budded but not in flower yet-- peaches, plums (Damson and Beach), crab apples.  The blueberries haven't flowered yet- but they are bushes not trees.  My little patch of rhubarb is up  but not amounting to much, yet again.  I need to buy a new rosemary plant.  Mine was happy all winter-nice and green-and then as Spring arrived it dried up and died.

My heart and mind are conflicted.  Books, Garden or Cloth?  I think it might help to have one thing in each category for the day.  Read more of my book.  Transplant my Sun Gold Tomatoes from the group home they are in now to single living space.  Stand and move things on the cloth.

And on tv today-- Arrival.   I can record it and watch it over and over.  I watched it on Watchathon Week.  A movie about huge rocks that arrive from space with a message and Time shifts continually past, present, future.  If only they can translate it in time.  The sound track is strange in a very good way.  I think they recorded whales.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Joanne, how wonderful - what your grandma did for you. Your stories bring me to tears.