Saturday, May 11, 2019

Daily Notes- May 11th




Yesterday I layered cloth and green plant materials (and a stick for each) and lots of string to tie them snug.  Steamed.  I started with ten or so pieces of cloth and I got the same amount--of dark beige/tan. no imprints from the plants.  Nothing.  I did get two absolutely GORGEOUS pieces with marks and color etc. to sort of make up for the sadness regarding all the other beige cloth. (which will go into the steamer with onion skins- (my only reliable dye stuff) and some leaves painted with rust water tomorrow.

The entire house smelled of eucalyptus.  But none of it printed.  None. Zero.

This morning when I opened them--left overnight- I was sad.  Then happy and then sad. Mostly I "saddened" cloth just as Jude often does.  I think she does it so there is a common baseline in the cloth so it blends well together.  Some have been ironed. And in the ironing I discovered marks from the string.  That was nice.

I forgot to throw this pale green cloth into the pot to be saddened-- So it can get along with others.

G is off delivering Mother's Day flowers for the greenhouse where I used to work.  He did it yesterday as well.  He left the dog here at home with me--Riley was not happy--yesterday or today-
I am not a good substitute.  G arrived home to eat lunch and JOY and then a really deep sleep nap. They are both off in the car now for more deliveries.

G couldn't find "happy trail drive" for a delivery and finally called the woman getting flowers.  She had named her driveway-- happy trail drive.  Her Driveway!!!!!  Lord.

Well G and the dog are home.  We'll see what we'll do the rest of this oddly enough--sunny day here in Maine.  I got a bit of sun on my face for the first day but not as much as usual.  Nothing hurts.  and I haven't cried at all today.  Which is nice.

I have used Eco Printing techniques but I found them to be a bit dangerous in the kitchen.  The iron water could poison a person if used in pots used for food.  Tomorrow at Goodwill I will look for something to use in the bottom of my large pot as a steamer.  And then I will have enough equipment and can box it up when not in use and draw a skull and crossed bones on the box.  So yesterday I tried printing without the iron water with just steam.  No luck.  But I now have lovely beige/tan base cloth and if I get the right sort of pot tomorrow--I will use my iron water and print eucalyptus leaves-.  And I also have rusting tin cans.  They make lovely black inky markings.  I am still looking for black walnuts in their green hulls.  These trees do not grow in Maine.  My friend has provided me with a gallon bag of avocado pits.  I need to find out what mordant they enjoy.  I will try to find the book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have missed it but are you using the book by India Flint (Eco Colour - botanical dies for beautiful textiles)at all? Reading it (if they have it at the library) might help you find some good ideas regarding successful fabric printing. Her things are astonishingly gorgeous.

I hope you have a happy, happy Mother's Day tomorrow, Joanne.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly avocado pits act as their own mordant. But please check to make sure. I seem to remember that by the addition of a different mordant they would change to deep, inky colors.