Thursday, February 07, 2019

Daily Notes- February 7th


Nine.  Stars made from small scraps of Bev's cloth and mine.  Slivers of cloth in the sashing.  More than fabric.  Love.  Memories.  History.

I have it here so you can see what I described in words.  But also, so it lives here in Google's memory files, which my son says are "forever". And I believe him because I have years of posts here--in the blog--which I can visit whenever I want. Somehow, better than the journals. With pictures and words.

G and I went out together this morning.  I wasn't sure of the streets with overnight rain and then ice. I got my hair cut.  We went to the grocery which G said was all "mixed up" and nothing was where it belonged.  While he got his ham and turkey sliced--I walked.  Observed that everything was exactly where it has always been.  I told him this but I am not sure he believed me.

Our check out cashier said to me "you're the one!" and I was waiting to hear what I had done. G was apprehensive. I had recommended no straw over grass seeds if you plant grass in the Fall.  I was right.  Her neighbors were wrong. She wanted me to know.

G asked me what I was going to be doing today.  I have a book to read.  I have class notes to look over and get ready for Saturday.  I have Valentine cards to address and send.  Only 6 so not that many but I do like to write short notes in cards I send and like I had to do in elementary school--I have to decide who gets a card.  Are any of you old enough to remember the decorated Valentine mailboxes we made to sit on our desks at school back in the 50's?  And Valentines weren't "politically" correct then and some classmates got few if any cards and others got a full box. I always hoped I would get at least a few.

My children gave a Valentine to each and every classmate -as was the rule.  My son (in 3rd grade) signed each with "from your friend (adding his name)".  That's what he wanted to write and it took  us many long afternoons for him to get them all done.  You see, after bad experiences in another school--he finally had friends.  Wanted them to know they had a friend as well.

These childhood experiences linger far into adulthood don't they?

G is drilling drainage holes into the quart plastic milk jugs so I can start some seeds.  I use the milk jugs like a small single use greenhouse to start my seeds outdoors.  Email me if you want to know more.  It's much better than rigging up lights etc over trays of seedlings, watching them sprout and then die.




2 comments:

Annie said...

Love the star quilt,I'm working on that same pattern now! I really like the scrappy look and all those fabulous fabrics in yours. Mine is rather plain as that is what I'm in the mood for right now, I have lots of scrappy quilts, so wanted something different. I know that pattern as Variable Star, some call it Ohio star, which is a bit different.

Oh yes, I remember the Valentine boxes, but don't remember how many I got or if I gave one to the whole class. I like your son's experience of signing "your friend",really nice!

DianeN said...

Yes, I remember the Valentine boxes and I remember that everyone was always supposed to give every other child a Valentine but of course, that was never the case. Someone always had their feelings hurt.

I think your son must be a wonderful fellow to have been so tremendously thoughtful to write that on every single card. I hang on to the stories of kindness and thoughtfulness these days. Please wish him a "Happy Valentine's Day" from all of us who were touched by this story.