Friday, February 22, 2019

Daily Notes- February 22nd


Snowed yesterday and today in the 40's.  The left side of my jaw has decided to "lock up" so I will be eating things that require little to no chewing.  Jaw has been making lots of bone on bone noise in my left ear for a few weeks.  Decided to lock up.  Soup, Cream of Wheat cooked cereal, coffee and tea. Difficult to open my mouth wide enough for even a spoon this morning. I am gently moving my lower jaw bones from side to side but not up and down.

These drawings are from before Christmas.  There must have been an image somewhere of these flowers.  If anyone knows what sort of flower they might be--let me know.  The leaves look familiar. The shape behind the flower face is very unique.  They show up on journal pages quite often like yesterday's page and now today's.  Ranunculus?

I have a large pile of tea bag papers so might make a new substructure and sew one or two of these flowers onto it.  Perhaps on the pink stained hibiscus tea papers. And use some of Deb's magic thread.

Carol sent a comment asking for more info on nitrogen fixing.  I was surprised and happy to be asked. I had to do some research this morning Carol, but it gave me another wonderful handout of info for my March classes on soil nutrients--so thank you!!!.  And I will be picking up a package or two of Fava Bean seeds (and inoculant) to plant around any shrubs or trees that need help (not thriving). It occurs to me that I could ALSO start a packet of Fava beans on top of the compost piles to increase nitrogen there as well or white clover and then turn it under early before it goes to seed.  I am really interested in experimenting with this way to increase nitrogen.  In the compost pile.

This year, G will be building higher side walls on our raised bed garden.  So we don't have to get down on the ground to plant, harvest or weed.  Possibly knee high.  I know some gardeners have gone to just below waist high.  And then had to fill the boxes with compost--quite a lot of compost. But, they can still garden.  Grace has high boxes in her new garden.  I like the look of them.  I think it would be a good investment for us (use some of the money we have for old age).  Then I could garden well into my 80's standing up.  That would be lovely.

Read Anne Tyler's book The Clock Winder yesterday and it had little to do with the title.  The last few pages was sort of a rush to gather it all together into an "ending" while for the most part the book had no framework.  It was a disappointment and now I no longer wonder why I stopped reading this author.  I have one more of her books (which I may not read) and then another author that interested me that I found a few inches to the right of Anne Tyler's section of shelf.  I love how that happens.

My eyes are dry and sticky most days even with drops.  So most things that need me to "see" are not getting done.  Once Winter is past, there will be more moisture in the house air.

1 comment:

Paula, the quilter said...

I thought your drawing was of poppy seed pods.