Friday, February 15, 2019

Daily Notes--February 15th


Actually, it's raining here in Maine.   Around 36 degrees.  Trying to decide if it wants to stay rain or turn to sleet.  The Man and The Dog went out for their walk--both look exhausted.

This picture is from years ago when we measured snowfall in feet.  Not inches.  Global Warming.  We can witness it here in Maine.  Dry wells, little rain, low snowfall.  Drought.  And Maine is thin sandy soil on top of rock.  The victim of long ago erosion--our soil lives in New Jersey. I learned that fact in Master Gardener School.

I am balancing between going out to a store to find green fabric and just making do with something already here in the house.  Not a match.

I have a newly started pot of chicken soup on the stove for G.  He has a scarf wrapped around his neck.  He is cold.  I had to coax Riley to eat his breakfast and then his lunch just minutes ago (1:30)--I do this by standing at the sink washing dishes with the water running.  He knows where I am.  Eats.  Today I washed my tea cup for the entire 10 to 15 minutes it took him to eat (he was looking up to check on me). Putting in the Time.  Then I scooped leftover tuna salad onto planks of raw, cold carrot and celery.  That was lunch.

Putting in the Time is something you learn to do when you have problem children.

Finished reading Harbison's Driving With The Top Down.  Usually her books aren't this hard to read. Three women.  Road Trip.  Truth.  Tears.  I'm glad I didn't find this author until this Winter.  I have two more books on the table--not this author.  Two others.  Since it's really too dark for any Magic Attic trip or for hand sewing, I think I will read another book.  Wait for the soup to cook.

My calendar has nothing penciled in for the next two full weeks.  Nothing.  Nowhere to be.  I was looking for a Valentine card for my husband--in the big chest of drawers filled with cards, gift bags, tissue and ribbon.  I found calendars from 2002 and 2003.  Every square filled.  Meetings, appointments, comings and goings, work hours at the library.  Every square filled.  And now weeks of blank squares that will not be filled in--except to write-it's raining today.

I have to admit.  Reading the filled in blanks on those calendars exhausted me.

No comments: