Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Daily Notes- August 22


I found this image on one of the cooking blogs I read.  My own set of these bowls isn't as "shiny" and never was.  But they have been in use continuously since the early 1980's.

My dear friend Monika and I were on one of the frequent Women's Club of the Taunus (outside Frankfurt) bus trips in Germany.  We'd get on the bus early in the morning with a packed lunch (others brought wine) and drove off in search of "bargains" or "treasures" or just wanted to get away for the day.  These bus trips had/have filled my cupboards with beautiful discounted Villeroy & Boch and Heinrich china in at least three different patterns.  Crystal glassware.  German Christmas nutcrackers.  And Monika and I each purchased a set of these bowls.

The very largest one is usually called into service at Thanksgiving to mix up the stuffing.  The smallest for salad dressing.  I saw this photo and had to write about my bowls.  Such a simple thing but it brought back memories of a really important part of my life.  I became ME in those 6 years. The person writing to you right now.

I was thrown into a foreign country with a 10 year old and a 12 year old (who cried herself to sleep each and every night for a year or more).  I had very little German (most left over from 3rd and 4th grade).  But I needed food, school supplies and dry cleaning for a traveling husband.  I had to push past my fear (mostly) and "get it done" and learn to drive a 500 series BMW.  We lived "on the economy" not like the military with their American everything.  I had packed enough American food to last 6 months (I thought) and had the things my kids wanted most.  American cereal, Kraft mac and cheese, Taco mix, brownie and cake mixes, chocolate chips for cookies and American books and clothing. And our American cat.

No internet.  No satellite TV.  No Amazon for ordering books. No newspaper (until I found the International Tribune).  And I had to apologize for Ronald Reagan endlessly.

I had to leave America behind and find my way in Germany.  And, well.... when I returned to the States 6 years later--I was told I was a really great German (and that was not a positive comment).  I had brought my German ideas home with me.  Which was really quite funny.  But true.  I still abide by German standards of housekeeping, ironing and recycling etc to this day.  And I miss Germany most of all at Christmas.

And I have my china, crystal and nutcrackers.  And my set of bowls. To remind me.

2 comments:

MariMo said...

Your cat Kooda - stayed with us when you were on vacation. She was too old to move back to the US with you. I would have loved to adopt her, but our German landlady did not allow animals. Kooda moved to live with the Lemp Family instead - and loved running around their garden. Great cat!

Joanne S said...

Yes, that was hard for us all--leaving her behind-- but the Lemp Family loved her for the rest of her days and made her a new home with them and the children. She even was allowed to sit on the antique chair with the new seat cover. Thank you for remembering her.