Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Daily Notes-- August 21


I waited until late afternoon to write to you.  I woke up late and then, well, it took awhile to get going.  Going.  Grace says that.   Not that I managed to get up to any speed here today.  I washed a few windows.  Watered my plants.  Ate my daily tomato sandwich over the sink.  I am enjoying my sandwiches.  Bread, mayo, thick slices of tomato and salt.  The bread has to be the soft squishy kind.

I read another book.  Florida this time.  Remembering when I lived there.  Three years.  Snakes, bugs, toads and ringworm.  Delicious tomatoes.  Most of the men my husband worked with were in the midst of divorcing their wives....just like in the book..... "they just wanted to have fun".   And then  they married the young women.....and had wives again.  Laughing.

I've decided not to make a peach cobbler.  Tomorrow I will bake a Peach Pie.  I may even do the crust like the one in the picture.  I do have pretty good pastry skills--a bit (or more) rusty but I think I can pull it off.  The old wedding present cookbooks from the 1960's have really good pie recipes.

The Tree Guy has been here.  He's going to cut down a few more white pine trees and brush cut the back acres (and some parts of the side yard) for a couple of days.  I mentioned we should just have him on a regular schedule.  He said he'd just like to have work.  I'd like more open space and less woods.

When we moved here the trees were 26 years younger and shorter.  Now they block the Sun and the Moon and the Stars.  I wish I lived closer to the sky.  Further from the forest.


5 comments:

Susan Sawatzky said...

you are a poet

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Oh, that pie! I am always drawn to pictures of pie but I haven't make one in years. The Universe is telling me to make a pie!

Annie said...

Your back yard sounds like ours, we're always having the tree people here, and like you say,how they've grown in the past 32 years!
Oh my, that pie, my mouth is watering.

Annie said...

How'd I get to be unknown?

Joanne S said...

Dear Unknown. Just write your name at the end of your comments.
On other blogs there are questions to answer--on mine? I have no idea what Blogger choses to do. I do not chose.