Thursday, July 05, 2018

Daily Notes- July 5th


Looking for a nice cool shady spot like the one above and the only spot I can find is the house.  With blinds down and closed.  With air-conditioning.  It's like a heavy wet, hot blanket outside.

My remote watering system is working.  I can water what the chipmunks haven't eaten.  Deer fence does nothing to impede the chipmunks.

The three Beach Plums flowered but did not set fruit.  Each of the young peach trees set exactly one peach.  Now, that's double the total of one peach I got last year.  So, Progress.  The blueberries have little green berries.  The heavily pruned and cleared out blackberry patch--looks promising.  Healthy leaves and lots of tiny baby berries (need rain).  The raspberry canes (everywhere) we cut to the ground in April and May are now about 2 to 3 feet tall.  I prefer September raspberries.  No Japanese beetles in September.  My arugula has gone to seed.  The chipmunks have eaten all the parsley.  I have one volunteer bok choy plant.  The celery doesn't seem to interest the chipmunks.

There is nothing to harvest.  Nothing to eat from the garden.  --Well, there is plenty of mint.  Except where I planted it--then there is none.

Read a very very good Scandanavian thriller yesterday-- the Legacy by Yrsa Sigurdardottir.  On my trip to the library today I intend to see what else they have on the shelf by this author.  New to me.
This is the first in a new series with the same characters.  Which is wonderful as I liked the characters.  Another series features Thora so I will look for that as it is to be made into a filmed series. G also needs new books.

I did have my Holiday Hot Dogs but they were pan fried as it seemed silly to go out and get the grill going for a few hot dogs.  We didn't have the Watermelon.  G was trying to get his iPad to work and I was reading.  Right now both G and Riley are sound asleep (11:49 in the morning) behind me.  G on the couch and Riley on the floor next to the couch.  They had their walk early before the real heat arrived.  They will possibly sleep for the next few hours.  Riley is possibly still under the influence of the sedative he got when he started hyperventilating over a few distant rumbles of fireworks last night.  Quite the holiday experience. G just likes to sleep.



2 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

Like the scene...you typing, them sleeping nearby

Joanne S said...

Yes, they are right behind me. Cozy.