Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Daily Notes-- July 24


I saw this on another blog and thought--why not?   That's how it should go...no snags and never running out of thread.

Another cloudy day.  Some rain in the early hours before I was awake.

G and I ate a dozen ears of fresh corn from a local farm.  Delicious.  Just corn for supper. Like in my early days when my dad brought home brown paper bags of roadside corn.  Just picked.  And we boiled them and ate them and were happy it was summer.

G and I have been invited to lunch at 1 pm.  I think we'll go.  He'll say no but I will say yes.

My plant based dyeing was 50% successful.  The onion skins turned a very brilliant yellow and the pattern made by the separate peels is lovely.  The purple smoke leaves and flowers-- very faint and delicate.  Just a suggestion of colors and leaf impressions.  Next time I will use alum to mordant. I have plenty of leaves and flowers for a second try.

I do not like summer days when I need to have the lights turned on in order to see.  Too much like Winter.   Picked four zucchini from the Earth box.  Disturbed a few bees who are always in, under the zucchini leaves.  Picked one baby pickling cucumber.  Ate it seconds later.  Right there in the driveway before breakfast.  Why wait?

Someday--I keep hoping----I will pick a tomato off the many plants that are growing taller and wider by the hour--by the minute out in the Grow boxes.  Loaded with green tomatoes.  I was hoping for a cherry tomato by now.  No luck.   I dream of eating warm tomatoes off the vines in July but it's always late August here in Maine.  Just before Summer is over. Always too late.


3 comments:

DianeN said...

I finally picked cherry tomatoes - two dozen of them. So red and juicy and sun-warmed. Not one of them made it to the house.

Joanne S said...

I will not be picking any tomatoes for quite a long while as mine are still very small and very green. I eat them when I pick them as well. It's why we garden, right?

Annie said...

What a coincidence,Joanne,I had just come to your page from my Facebook Quilting group, and had put a like on the sweet cat sewing away, cutest thing!