Thursday, July 19, 2018

Daily Notes- July 18th and 19th


Rain most of the day yesterday.  Cold.  Chilly.  We were out driving.
Today more driving but sunshine, muggy heat.  Worried about tomato leaves wilting.

We purchased a new toaster oven (rather than keep trying to clean the old one and failing miserably).  And a new electric pot to heat water for tea.  1.7l.   And it's black.  Not in stock.  Being delivered in 7 days.  Free. The lovely woman who helped us said the management had been shocked at the popularity of the pot.  For college dorms.  We had both been in college when cooking in your room--even toast-- was strictly forbidden. Now they boil water for ramen, I guess.

I wonder what my 18 year old self would have thought of boiling water in my dorm room to cook noodles?  In 1964.  Or my 71 year old self would think if I had to wear a skirt and stockings in order to enter the cafeteria in 2018.

We stopped in to look around at Target.  I needed a new bra.  Everything in our Target has changed. It looks more like World Market.  There were exactly two bras that I was interested in, in my size and they were marked down because they will no longer carry "items like this".  I have no idea where I will purchase any Future under garments that meet my requirements.  These two will have to last forever.  I require simplicity and function over fashion.  And preformed, unbendable cups are not my idea of comfortable.  Like a styrofoam bra.

I am tired.  Had to use the rescue inhaler today--coughing too much.

Daughter came to visit and took home the three foxglove plants I have raised from inch high sprouts. A gift from a customer.  I could never find a spot for them.  She has a bed with two other foxgloves. They'll be happy.  The customer said the flowers would be "absolutely beautiful".  A big selling point for my daughter.

The finished baby quilt was given to the new "mother to be" at her shower on Tuesday.  Delighted with it.  Happiness.


4 comments:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

"Items like that." Oh, my.

I worked in the library at our university and one of my jobs was in the stacks making sure the books were in order. Up and down, dusty work, and my professor for the class following that library shift insisted on skirts and pristine tops. She scolded me a few times.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

my friend Wendy and i got our first apartment together. In an old old
iconic building in detroit. We made beef stew. it needed to be
disposed of. Toilet. the apartment manager traced the whole building's
clogged plumbing to our door. We were 19.

Joanne S said...

The bras at Target looked like something Wonder Woman would wear along with the super power metal wrist cuffs.

Anonymous said...

I found a lot to relate to in this post , having attended college in the mid-sixties myself. The no cooking rule was to keep us from burning the place down,I think. I remember some girls had these metal coils with an electrical cord. Put the coil in a cup of water, plug it in, and instant hot water for tea.
And always skirts for classes and Sunday dinner in the dining hall. And the bras !! I was in T J Maxx looking at them all hanging up, so rigid and stiff, wondering who wears these things ? Although I guess my daughters and granddaughter do, and they look quite lovely. But I feel it must be tortuous.