Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Working Pile of Fabric

I started working on the 10 by 10 for the Arts Are Elementary auction.  I need to drop it off on the 25th of this month.  I checked out the website and looked at last year's entries.  Not sure how many sold.  Or which ones.  I also visited the SAQA auction site to see what that looked like.  There is one piece I liked.  Really liked.  And oddly enough it looks sort of like what I wanted to make.  Which is probably why I liked it.  Be interested to see if it sells on the first day.

I woke up feeling sick today (my first day back to work).  I wish I could just throw up and be over it. I don't know what is causing the feeling.  At first I just thought I was really, really hungry.  I haven't been eating well while away from work.  I haven't been eating lunch.  And I am not actually interested in breakfast, as you know.  Now, I am also not interested in eating dinner, either.  Not that this disinterest leads to any weight loss on my part.  I guess it just leads to feeling nauseous.

I should be watering the garden.  Don't want to.  Didn't walk the dog yesterday, either. It's too damned hot outside. Have progressively lost interest in everything is those five days of not having the routine of going to work. I feel like a rudderless boat going around in a circle while I dip the paddle in on only one side.  And I am totally OVER summer.

I discovered my "who are you" was Russian sage about 10 minutes after writing yesterday's post.  Thank you to all who wrote to confirm my suspicion.  It was the leaves that I worried about and finding a picture of the foliage was difficult. Turns out that russian sage is a cousin of MINT and that means easy to propagate from woody stem cuttings.  Just cut and stick in the ground if you want a second or third plant.  But they need winter protection in their first two years in your garden.  After that, they grow like crazy.  The article even said the plants send out little babies around the sides of the big plants.  You can dig those up and move them.  But still protect from the cold for 2 years.  I guess they are slow to set deep roots.  I am going to work today and seeing if we still have any. We are in the middle of a big perennial sale.  Buy 10 and get 50% off all of them.   I hope the perennial yard is looking bare.

That "doing not much of anything" seems to be what perennials do in my gardens.  And then, after I have totally given up on them, they get big and go crazy.  Like the purple bee balm.  I thought it was completely dead and gone.  Bang.  It's four feet tall and covered in purple flowers.  I guess it reseeded. And the Obedient Plant is back.  I keep thinking I have pulled it all up and in a few years, it comes back, someplace where I never planted it.  Now it's in the Peony bed along with red bee balm which I hate.  My daughter wanted red bee balm and yesterday she visited and decided it wasn't "pretty".  Bee balm is never "pretty". So, she is thinking phlox might be what she wants.

Almost time to go to work.  I need to pack my bag and get the dog into the car.

No comments: