Thursday, August 09, 2012

How The Garden Grows

We are moving away from zucchini and into the peppers, cucumbers and small tomatoes in the first week of August.  The tomato hornworm has been dispatched and now I must just WAIT for the green tomatoes to turn bright red.  I have started removing leaves so the sun can shine down on the fruit.  My pepper plants are full of green peppers.  I am waiting for them to turn red and golden yellow.  The jalapeño are very hot.  I know this because after cutting one up for my chili, I rubbed my eye.

The blueberries are past and it's not quite time for ripe blackberries.  So I am eating the "on sale" cherries.   Fresh out of a bowl and split and pitted with yogurt (OMG is that ever good).  And I have a delicious pineapple to snack on also.  The raspberries are weeks away.

Breakfast has been fresh mozzarella and tomatoes or cucumbers in yogurt with dill.  Remarkably filling. I have the muffin pan scrubbed and waiting for me to mix up some Paleo Egg Muffins.  Really just tiny egg frittatas.  I plan to use my jalapeños, some of my last container of chili for the meat and grated cheese in my egg muffins.  I think I will only make 6.  I also have a recipe for tuna patties.  I might like them.

Today is the first day of my "staycation" from work.  I have garden work plans for my time off.  But it is going to try and rain.  And G is home today so things may not go as planned.  Tomorrow will be my own.  The pizza I planned on making for G several days ago will be on the menu tonight.  I think it will be relaxing to just do "home" things and not have to think about stopping for work.  The beginning of the week was rough.  Tuesday I had to turn around and drive back home because I forgot to turn off the water to the garden hose (I had watered before work).  Wednesday I drove past doggie daycare and had to make a u-turn and go back. Two days in a row of confusing the dog.  My head was somewhere else. Yesterday I sprayed myself and was out in the garden for a few hours after work; watering, picking and then deadheading the daisies and zinnias in the deck boxes.  Mosquitos are fierce.  G needs to spray around the house for ants.

I have two books to read.  The bed sheets to change and wash.  The floor to sweep and mop.  And yesterday my daughter called to say her little "in town" street will be having another Yard Sale event on September 8th.   I am really psyched about that.  Now I can clear more stuff out of the attic.  The old suitcases, sleds and some furniture.  Her street gets lots of traffic when they have a neighborhood sale. Riley is back from barking at crows.  I think I had best have breakfast.

No comments: