Monday, August 06, 2012

Whole 30

I spent considerable time today reading Whole 30 blogs.  I also made two kinds of pickles (refrigerator and Sweet Salty), shredded a pile of zucchini and eventually mixed up two zucchini pizza crusts which are in the oven having their second bake.  Then I will let them cool off and store them in the fridge.  I may even make two more.  We'll see how I feel about making more of a mess.  It's almost 7 pm.  G just got home. (I turned the oven off)

Anyway, Whole 30.  It has lots of rules and the recipes and shopping list has to be "purchased" because in real time, Whole 30 is someone's "business".  The source of income.  The list of "Yes, you can" and "No, you can't" is on the website.  This is not Paleo.  It seems like it but it isn't.

Eggs (free range/organic), beef lamb etc (grass feed, organic), fish (free range, organic) ha ha, all vegetables except white potatoes (free range and organic),  a few fruits (mostly berries and apples but I can't be sure unless I "purchase" the list), no milk products of any kind (cream, cheese) but oddly you can use clarified butter.  Fat is provided by coconut  (cream, milk, shredded), avocado and olives.  In the Whole 30 food blog I read, breakfast was two eggs from the hens out back, 2 strips of bacon and a pile of sweet potato hash browns, coffee without sugar and with coconut cream.

Yes, no sugar.  No grains ( and they mean NONE).  Just meat and vegetables for 30 days.  Cooked in clarified butter.

Too much No and not enough Yes.  And everyone mentions their daily (twice daily) workout.  So, I get the feeling the motivation here is a muscled up body.  I will most certainly be told I am wrong.

The food the young woman (whose blog I read) ate or didn't eat looked just fine.  I like the breakfast (which was always the same) and her lunch was usually a salad with chicken and dinner was grilled or roasted meat with a vegetable.  She wanted GF pretzels and a gin & tonic.  In fact, she wanted those two things more than she wanted any other foods, including yogurt.  Which I think she pretty much ate all the time before Whole 30.  Yogurt and stinky cheese.

So, aside from the yogurt, stinky cheese, gin & tonic and the GF pretzels; not much changed. Oh, she dreamed of Sunday pancakes also.

I found her Whole 30 adventure interesting.  I also found out that it's not an adventure I want to take. She didn't experience any life changing event.  No weight loss.  A bit of belly fat (her baby is 10 weeks old) gone, but that happens while breastfeeding.  She had less gas and wasn't constipated.  Cheese.

So there you have it.  My blog report on Whole 30.  I may report on Wheat Belly next time.

No comments: