Monday, August 20, 2012

Amazing White Marble Kitchen

When we lived in Germany, my downstairs floors were all made from white marble tiles.  The lovely Frau Loos had to be careful when washing and cleaning the marble as it stains easily.  The huge expanse of floor was bordered on the front side by a full glass block wall and front door.  The back side was a plain white wall where I hung a queen sized pieced quilt (which I didn't make as I didn't know how to quilt at that time) in the Jacob's Ladder pattern.  At the bottom was a long, hand made bench (G) in dark wood.  Later, I put a red and white wool carpet down on the center of the marble floor.  I think it was 8 by 10 feet (the carpet only covered the center area of the floor).  White wool center rectangle bordered in a faded red wool. There was no other furniture in this open space which was essentially a gigantic hallway. That being said, I like a simple, faded color scheme in my homes.  And I liked the white marble floors and window sills.

I don't think counter tops should be marble. Any acid will pit the surface and stain like crazy. Imagine the mess I would have made pitting the cherries for my breakfast today (with yogurt)?  Like a CSI crime scene.

Yesterday Riley had a lovely walk and G got to go see the Expendables.  Everyone was happy.  I didn't have to walk the dog nor see the the movie.  Dinner was a sandwich for G with two kinds of homemade pickles and chips and grilled hotdogs (no buns) and fried peppers (from garden) and onion and a side of cucumber salad for me.

G brought in tomatoes from the garden,  they were not ripe.  He also harvested cucumbers and one zucchini.  That zucchini is shredded and salted and is going to be the base for a experimental brownie recipe (#2) later this morning.  I bought two nice purple eggplant from a local farmer and I sliced them into lengthwise quarter inch planks and intend to make fried eggplant out of them.  Very few seeds.  It's not a "legal" food for me, but it's something I actually enjoy eating.  So I am making it and eating it.  More vegetarian than low carb.  As are the sweet potato burgers that I will be making this week.

I have a true and abiding love for vegetables.  All of them.  And here it is August and the gardens and farms are supplying me with lovely vegetables and fruits.  And I am going to eat them and not fool around trying to make everything low carb (and disgusting).  Sorry low carb-ers and Dino chow people, your nut flour solutions to all things that need flour do not taste or look good.  I eat the food plain most of the time to stay legal, but there are moments when I just don't care as much.  My daughter's reaction to Brownie #1 was to spit it into the sink.  Where it belonged.  The comments (with the recipe) were that it was "delicious".  Not true.  Paleo recipes always come with rave review comments.  And most of these recipes, that I have tried, have gone into the disposal of my sink. There was a coconut flour pancake recipe where the author asked people to please not write a negative comment.  She was only going to delete them.  How's that for honesty?????

So.  I am not ruining my eggplant with a nut flour crust.  I am using flour and breadcrumbs.  I may use coconut flour to dust the eggplant and then dip in egg and then into breadcrumbs.  After all, the eggplant I eat every week at a local restaurant is coated in breadcrumbs.  It's not like I haven't been cheating all along.  Yes, I will finally say it out loud.  I have been cheating all along.

I have the finishing details of my 10 by 10 (back and edges) to work on today.  I will be working Tuesday to Friday at work (I called to get my schedule) and this is my last chance to get the project done before dropping it off Saturday morning.  I also want to make the bunny pillow.  Oh, and those god awful artist statement and bio papers.  My daughter suggested "I like to make stuff"  period.


1 comment:

Marble Slab said...

Very informative post.. thanks for writing.