Monday, August 06, 2012

Looking Up

It would seem that adding water and fertilizer to my "handy plant" has increased the leaf size and color density.   I used my favorite little "tool" in iPhoto to change the color intensity.  What was once creamy white is now toasty orange.  The orange flower is made of metal and beads.  I bought it because I liked it--then had no place to put just one.  Today, it seems to be in the best possible place.

I am enjoying August.  Not the heat.  The slowness.  The moving around in a cloud of humidity. Not doing too much.  Saturday I collected Tomato Hornworms in a plastic bag.  I think I got 3 or 4 of the super large ones and about the same number of smaller ones.  G sprayed Sevin on the plants yesterday and he found one more medium sized worm.  The plastic bag was enough of a barrier to actually feeling those terribly ugly worms with my skin. I am amazed at how they blend right in to the tomato plants.  They look like curled leaves.  Evolutionary triumph.

Watched Longmire last night.  Wyoming.  Isn't the sky blue there?  Why have they filmed this series in BROWN.  I wouldn't mind all the brown, even the clothing is all brown, if I could see it all up against some crisp blue sky.

My employer misread my note and after working on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, I will have the next five days off.  I think he is doing the same thing next week also.  I may have to stop him.  I only have 27 hours of vacation pay.  I work because I enjoy getting paid. Otherwise, why bother?

I spend a great deal of time observing people.  G says it's called staring.  Anyway, I have been most curious about this fashion thing people are doing, where they layer things like shirts, tees and tanks in interesting and not always correct (to me) ways.  The latest was a beautiful woman wearing very loose silk cargo pants (black) with a black cap sleeve top that was gathered under the bust.  Under this was a dark brown sport bra with a T back.  Now, from the back the T back was visible.  I am an old school, all the straps must be covered by the top layer, sort of girl.  So, I find this new fashion of all the bra straps showing sort of odd.

I had purchased a white top.  Sleeveless.  Thin. Tunic style.  Too thin to wear in public.  I also own a few Target V neck tees in a very very thin knit which I sleep in.  Also not for public wearing (by me) so I said, to myself, why not wear them together?  And it looked amazing.  The tee was just the right cut to fill in the low cut V on the shirt.  And they were the same length (though if the tee shirt had been longer that would have been great).  The thin shirt over the thin tee was still very wispy feeling.  I wore it to the grocery on Saturday and it felt wonderful.  I don't know how it looked to other people, but it made me feel good.

I think my inability to be fashionable stems from not having suitable components in my closet or dresser drawers.  I am not a good clothing shopper.  I don't have a little two or three item list in my head of things I NEED to make fashion happen.  We have fashion magazines at work.  They have tips.  I just don't seem to be able to translate them into things which will make my wardrobe fresh.  And my practice of shopping at Thrift, Target or Goodwill doesn't give me opportunity to look at all that many things I can actually wear.

Right now I have gotten it right TWICE.  This little layered tee and shirt works.  Everything is the perfect weight and size.  Last winter it was the grey sweater, the gold knotted scarf and the dark green down vest.  Amazing.  Now if I could just manage the capri tights and knee length tunic.  I may never wear it outside the house but I do want to get it "right" just so I can stop thinking about it.

What's your favorite "fashion now" outfit?

No comments: