Monday, November 01, 2010

Friend of Twelve By Twelve- November

I enjoyed painting the fabric for this Colorplay challenge.  And that was all I enjoyed about it. I handstitched for about 3 or 4 hours on this piece to add some texture.  It still has no focal point and isn't artistically complete.  But I am finished with it for now.  I'm just showing it to be done.  Acrylic paint on bleached muslin with ribbon, floss, tulle and silk embellishments.  One bead.

Here's a detail shot of the added embellishments.  I was going to add some "flowers" along the line but no matter how much lipstick you add, a pig is still a pig.

I read on the 12 by 12 blog, that members of the group are also having trouble with just being given a set of colors and no theme or subject.  It's all too loosey/goosey for me.  When I was making a still life with a vase and flowers (and why did I stop doing that?) it was "okay, now a pink vase"  But, I think the use of my more complex painted fabrics is making my artistic life more complicated also.  I couldn't find a place for a vase or flowers in this fabric.  I have more, so I can keep trying.

3 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Not sure about that ONE bead, but love the rest of it! Great movement, energy, color. I am enjoying the color challenges. I seem to get a visual idea from the ether that I just go with--

Kristin L said...

I agree that it does have fun energy, and I definitely like the colors. I was drawn to the texture of the stitching, especially against what looks like a pearly paint for the aqua color -- maybe it's just not taken quite far enough. Take that with a grain of salt though as I am the one who piled the stitches and beads high!

dee said...

That rusty orange is one of my favorite colors. The stitching is really nice Joanne. Very fond of those heavily embroidered small pieces. I'd move that bead off to the side more and maybe even replace it with tiny beads here and there or, perhaps, in a circle around the lone bead.
How is it finished around the edges?