Tuesday, November 02, 2010

The Bead & A Rant (at the very end)

So much interest in the "bead".  Move it, remove it, add more etc.  I am a reluctant embellisher.  I don't have many beads.  So when I looked in the jar.  Yes, THE jar.  I found only one bead that was the right color for the job.  And I placed it in several spots and where it is is where it looked best.  And I sewed it on.  I always knew it wasn't permanent as I remove nearly every bead I sew on a quilt, in time.

I have been asked about the bound edges.  Well, they aren't bound.  I don't even have a back on the last five of these 12 by 12 challenges.  I don't finish them.  There is no reason to.  I'm not writing a book or having a traveling show.  And, by only one artist, the collection is chaotic and unpleasant.  This piece would "play well" with the other twelve rusty pieces in an exhibit, but only solo anywhere else.  Someday, I may convince Deborah to show her pieces along with mine, here in Maine. Our chairs are very nice together.  FLASH!!!  Duh!  I should have used a chair theme in all these pieces this year.  Not flowers.

Yesterday our daughter came over and had dinner with us.  I made Mexican casserole.  A recipe my dad had in his recipe box.  Last night I made it my own recipe and added stuff and changed things up.  It was delicious.  Of course, before doing any of that, I had to drive to the grocery store for menu items.  My pantry items have been depleted over the summer of "no shopping" and "use what you have in the freezer and cupboards".  Now my freezer is filled with frozen tomatoes and for some strange reason, the pantry has only canned diced tomatoes and canned corn. Our daughter hasn't been over for dinner in a long time.  And it's been two weeks since she walked Riley on Saturday afternoon so he was "beyond" happy to see her yesterday.  Bouncing up and down like Tigger, showing her his new toys.  She'll walk him this coming Saturday as G and I will both be back to work.

I have an hour to get dressed for work, vote and then drop off Riley at day care.  The  remainder of the day should be very slow and boring.  I guess the crew dusted all day Sunday.  When the political ads started running, the economy came to a grinding stop.  Fear.  Everyone I talk to is afraid of what may or may not happen.  The ads on television are very dangerous.  And the shows like 60 Minutes are showing towns where no money is changing hands, jobs are being lost and towns that once were growing are now boarded up with For Sale/ Going Out Of Business signs.  Banks refuse to lend money. Unions refuse to back down on contracts that drain the blood out of businesses and schools.  Streets are full of unrepaired potholes.  Is this the America we want?  Really?  Do we really want anarchy?

I know people are angry and afraid, but you have to work to repair what is wrong.  Not destroy everything.  Not reward someone like John Boehner who has said "no" to everything this Congress has tried to do.  Even to unemployment checks.  John says "no".  Take care of yourself.  And the Tea Party will.  With guns.  When the power goes out, no gas is available, no Social Security or Medicare checks are in the mail and we are all barricaded in our houses with loaded guns, remember  November of 2010 and say "thank you" to the Republican Party.  They have never wanted to take care of any of us. Reagan said that homeless people LIKE living in cardboard boxes.  And the Democrats need to stop trying to take care of everyone but the people who actually go to work and earn a living. Even I am tired of supporting welfare programs.  Okay, I'm done.

1 comment:

Diane N said...

When I voted this morning I was encouraged to see more people voting than I have ever seen before. I have had people tell me they're voting against anyone who is currently in office because we need change. I have asked what if the change is worse than what we have now and they say anything is better. Then I get goose bumps because oh, my, things can get so much worse when people let fear and anger rule them.

Our choices here are not very good. State races seem to pit the incumbent (ineffectual) against the up and comer (pathological liar)and then there's an independent who is like something out of an old Damon Runyan story except for the humor.

I hope that in everyone's haste for change that they haven't planted the seeds for something so much worse.

And, totally off the previous topic, I hate that bead.