Friday, October 30, 2020

Daily Notes- October 30th


Late again, but I was awake at regular time.  Just had some interesting things to do with my breakfast and coffee (two) but decaf so I am not all wound up.   Selecting fabric- which was meant to be a lap quilt but got entirely too busy.  So now the squares- half with circles and half without, will be hand sewn into square potholders as holiday gifts.   And if I run out of people wanting them- they will go into the potholder drawer.  Next to the stove.  The other thing was writing info into my notebook for cloth dyeing. Mordants etc and which parts of things give color.  Very interesting.  I have many of the listed plants in my garden or yard.  I was not aware of how to use and which parts yield color.  I will be looking for downed birch trees (easy enough in the woods).  Daughter has supplied me with many rusted items for my iron water mordant container.  And I purchased dyers alum last Christmas at the Artist's Supply.

I do need to ask my old walking buddy to save the skin from her daily avocado- not just the pits.

Thursday's Football Pizza was different (I did not have shredded cheese in the drawer so used fresh mozzarella and things got "loose")  but it was quite good.  The crust- after 4 or 5 days in the fridge, baked up thin but very nice.  The football was not so nice.  I guess the way to win- for the Falcons- is to send good players to the protocol tent.  I have never liked watching the Falcons play. Some teams are just mean spirited. The Patriots seem to have lost a few more players to injury......not looking good for the season.

My book, Good on Paper, was one I had tried to read once before but too much Latin etc. And Isabel's Bed I had also already read once before.  Okay, but I think I have moved on. I have a Canham Scottish romance here to try out.  I have stayed away from the Scottish ones but that was the only Canham on the library shelf (I never have looked for Canham at the library as they never have any but now they have one)- so I took it "as a sign" that I might want to read it at least once.  I could be three for three in the "I don't want to read this" pile.

Husband went out this morning to get his hearing aids "tuned up".  He's back and working on a word search puzzle to send in- they give prizes (a local paper) and he always hopes he will win.  When we used to get the local Times Record we always worked on the Turkey Search puzzle. (November)  Had the double page spread out on the dining room table.  Would walk past and then stand and search for awhile.  Most years we never found all the words.  I wonder if they still do the puzzle?

Cold, Dark, Wet is the weather for today.  Two inches of snow was also forecast but haven't seen any. More church contacts are now sick here in Maine and Donald Trump Junior was here and no one wore a mask at his "rally" so we are waiting to see the contact tracing on that fiasco.

I watched Christmas Movies on Lifetime Channel yesterday.  They seem to be more enjoyable than Hallmark ones but often they ARE Hallmark ones. I like the one about the grandmother who sends her granddaughter shoes.  And magical things happen when she wears them. I hope I get to see that one again. The one I watched last night was the single career woman who is now the caregiver to her dead sister's child.  She hires a guy to be the nanny.  It had Gingerbread House Baking and Nutcracker Ballet. And a Meet Cute.  I always check for Hallmark Bingo Items. Oh, and Mistaken Identity.  If I get to see the Shoes one- I will make a Bingo List.  There's a Meet Cute in that one.  For sure.

2 comments:

Liz A said...

Wish I could send you some Texas sunshine ... after a few days in the 40s (rare for us), it is now glorious

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Add the Steelers to your list of "mean" teams.
My heart was so broken at the end of Sunday's Bengals game, but now I'm ready to watch again.