Saturday, October 27, 2012

Wood Trim

I have winter plans for what is now the "workspace" and will soon be the guest bedroom.  Again.  The more I change things the more I go back to the beginning.  I tore down half the "quaint" wallpaper when the new window went in last summer (not this summer) but never moved past that to removing the design board or the other half of the wallpaper.

I like the idea of the boards on the wall.  I plan to use the bunk beds I slept in when I was a small child.  I slept on the top bunk (at 4 or 5 years) and my younger brother the bottom bunk.  Our youngest brother had the crib across the narrow walking space between the beds.  So much for separate rooms in 1950.  Falling out of bed could have been fatal.  That's why I was given the top bunk.  Even then I knew I wasn't wanted. But I managed to get the beds.  I had always planned to refinish them in their natural maple hue.  Now that graphite bench is suggesting a different stain.

I managed to sleep late today.  My day off.  I had cucumber salad for breakfast and oatmeal for lunch. I Googled a winter Israeli salad of cabbage, carrots, raw beet and radishes to replace my summer love--the tomatoes and mozzarella as well as the cucumbers in sour cream and dill weed.  I find I prefer a cold breakfast of low carb vegetables.  Isn't it interesting to discover new things about yourself?  Even when you thought there was nothing new to discover?

I washed some of Riley's dog toys and his bed covers today while he was outside paroling the the yard, keeping us safe from CATS.  Then I ironed 13 shirts.  Or more.  Then I used the new vacuum to clean the whole house.  It was a pain to find places to plug in the vacuum as it has a short cord.  Mostly I sat here in front of the computer.  Watched episode 4 or 5 of the new BBC cooking show with Nigella on YouTube and a favorite episode of the Little Paris Kitchen with Rachel Khoos (I hope Santa brings me the cookbook). Read blogs and news reports. Got depressed.  Made a list of things to do before Sandy arrives.  (I don't think Maine is getting more than 4 days of rain).  By then it was time for G to get home.  We had dinner and I sat at the table and paid all the bills.  Had just enough stamps.

My shopping list:  toilet paper and stamps.

PBS shows a repeat of Masterpiece on Saturday and I got to watch that as I went through the bills and balanced the checkbook.  A nice surprise.

No comments: