Monday, October 01, 2012

Friend of Twelve ByTwelve - Maverick


This piece, rather oddly and incredibly, combines all the previous themes with the current theme.  I see Metamorphosis, Myth and Maps here as well as Maverick. I have struggled with the four themes of this 12 by 20 challenge this year.  But this piece went together easily, which means, in Joanne's world, that it was meant to be.  The pieces I struggle with are overworked, over analyzed and just not what I wanted.  The pieces that are truly what I wanted to make, come together in a matter of minutes. As if some "other hand" was using my hands and body to make them.  My mind is shut down.  I don't think while making the really good stuff.  Not saying this is really good stuff.  But I love it. Definitely One Of A Kind.  (smiling).  And I used the remains (or false starts) of the other 3 pieces to make this.

So it's called Alien X-Ray.  12 by 20.  Commercial prints, discharged cotton, chalk, wax pastels.  Machine appliqué and quilting.

4 comments:

MariMo said...

I'm lovin it - this greyish blue.....

Deborah Boschert said...

Love it! Really really great. Is that "skeletal" piece bleach discharge? Or were those lines part of the print? They really do suggest xray. I love the very unexpected combination of fabrics you've put together and I ESPECIALLY love how you've connected the lines in various pieces with lines of stitching or by matching up lines in other prints. Brilliant.

kathy said...

This piece makes me wish I could make it larger and really study the intricacies of your design work. Very very nice! Now that you're nearly finished with work for the winter, will we see more?

Karen said...

I love this too, it seems very medical to me, and that makes it right up my alley! I see lungs and a spine, and it all firs together really well.