Friday, October 26, 2012

Blue Sky Orange Leaves

A truly lovely combination.  I was standing in the Nursery yard yesterday, at work, waiting for my coworker to return to the inventory we were taking of the remaining trees and shrubs, and I looked up.  The entire sky from ground to ground was perfectly, solidly BLUE.  No pollution.  Not a single cloud. Heartbreakingly beautiful.  I wished it had been possible (without looking insane) to lay flat on the ground and just see the sky.

I am exhausted.  Working.  Then coming home to landscaping tasks.  Then housekeeping tasks (which never get the time and attention they need).  This morning, while washing and moisturizing my face I stopped to look.  I had glimpsed something "new".  Dark slivers of bruises under my eyes.  Wearing my trifocal glasses covers that section of my eyes usually.  I don't remember seeing the bruises last week.  But, I admit to being very tired.  Weary.  And the muscle on the outside of my elbow joint is still hurting, but only when I lift something that puts stress on the muscle.  Which I try not to do.  But I forget and then when I sit down to watch television the muscle lets me know I used it too much during the day.

Yesterday I sliced the top layer of weeds and grass off of about a square yard of the next landscaping bed that will be getting my attention.  I even managed (with G's help) to dig up a large clump of iris.  A few iris are nice.  A clump is not.  I have about 10 (or more) square yards to clear before I am done.  The "every five year" weeding process.  And, since it's five years since I started working full time--it has been that long since everything was properly weeded.

One major accomplishment that I am quite proud of at this moment in time--- every single plant I started, purchased or was given, is now in the ground.  The back deck is bare.  No pots. Never happened before.  The next major work is a large brush fire to clear things up in the back acre of the yard.  G and I have burned brush as the snow fell on us.  Still could happen.  The leaf pile has grown, diminished and then grown again.  I planted garlic ( I said I wouldn't).

I must pack my lunch and get Riley ready to go to day care.  It's Friday.  I have tomorrow off.




No comments: