Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Diary of Samuel Pepys'

Samuel Johnson wrote the first English Dictionary.  I was thinking of the first diary writer in 1630 or some where close to that and that would be Samuel Pepys.  I guess my English education wasn't all that "smart".  I wonder that none of you corrected my mistake.  LOL You probably didn't know WHAT I was referencing.

Today began with an overnight frost (32) and then it got warm, then the wind picked up and it got cold, then warm for a very short period and then, as Mainers say "bone chilling" cold.  For people who live way up here in Maine, we certainly do feel the cold.  Love the sun and heat, but take a chill pretty damned quick.

I got seven shirts ironed after work today.  I was moving thru the pile and then G says, "get dressed" (I had showered and put on my jammies) we are going out to dinner. Well, I tried to get him to change his mind and let me finish the shirts.  Really.  I have nearly every shirt he owns on the back of the office chair waiting to be ironed.  And the steam iron was working so good.  No snorting and sticking.  G said, "I only need two shirts and then I have the next three days off".  Well, I don't.  Have the next three days off. Which is how the pile of clean washed, but not ironed, shirts happened in the first place.

I am changing back into my jammies and getting back to ironing those damned shirts.

G had the electricians here to put in a new panel so his upstairs workshop wouldn't be pulling electricity from the kitchen and living room (and blowing circuits) when he does work up there with all his power tools.  He and the dog helped.  Riley is exhausted from all the helping he did today plus his walk.  Our next improvement project will be seeing how much it costs to have the driveway resurfaced and flattened out where the tree roots (from three trees we had taken down last June) have bumped up the asphalt.  And top coated and sealed.  New roof, new furnace, some new windows and now a refurbished driveway.  What a way to prepare for retirement.

Any recommendations on new murder mysteries for me to read?  I had meant to read the Roman Zen books but never got there.  I really do like the Scandanavian ones or the Medieval.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I just heard of a series by Peter Tremayne. The Sister Fidelma mysteries, sounds interesting.