Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tuesday, Tuesday

Up early. Snow, slush covered streets.  Haircut appointment. Driving was a bit greasy. Then Library.  Then Bank.  Then had my glasses tuned up since the accident when I hit myself in the side of the head with clothes dryer door.  Then Health Food Store to see if they carry Peanut Flour.  No. But they did have peanut butter powder in a jar.  Which turns into peanut butter when you add water.  And I am thinking can be used as peanut flour if I wanted to try one of Candice's recipes. Then Vet to get Riley's shot records and his heart worm pills.  Then shoveled out the bottom of the driveway. Then salted the porch steps (very icy).  Walked the dog.  Ate lunch (two ham and cheese rollups and a grapefruit).  No.  That was my breakfast at noon.  Had chocolate pudding for lunch at 3 with a handful of raw almonds.  Sugar Free.

I was tempted to try to use the snow thrower on the driveway (3 inches of new snow this morning) and spent a good bit of time reading the instructions on the machine and trying to find the switches and levers mentioned in the instructions.  Then, I decided to wait for G.  I think I made the right decision.

Stayed up very late last night reading the Tudor mystery.  It's a big, thick book.  Lots of plot.  Today I will be enjoying the sea battle between the English and the French at Portsmouth and the toppling over of the Mary Rose and drowning of 500 soldiers and sailors because they covered the decks in mesh so they were all trapped and died.  Screaming.  I get quite an education in historical facts.  The mesh seemed like such a good idea until the boat tipped over while turning.  It would have been a disaster if the top side had caught fire also.  All to keep those tricky Frenchmen from boarding the big ships.  The English had 40 to 50 ships of various sizes and the French had a couple hundred.  What was Big Fat King Henry VIII smoking when he decide to declare war???  That's my question.

The weather during our dog walk today was quite mild.  31 degrees, I think.  The warmth softened the snow and Riley enjoyed climbing up and down the roadside piles.  He's such a good dog.

2 comments:

dee said...

That was a full day and sounds like a good one. I got a haircut too. My haircutter had a baby and yesterday was her first day back from maternity leave...thank the Lord.
The grapefruits I got Monday are so good. Sweet Ruby Reds. Yum.

Samantha said...

It was King Henry the 8th's last shot at proving himself to be the warrior king he imagined himself to be as he was raised in a time when kings had to lead/fight wars to prove their mettle, valor, manliness, chivalry, and as a Tudor his very kingship was always questionable (how they got to the throne) and not being a dynasty that was on the throne for very long. He also self-identified his virility and his supremeness with his kingship and constantly reinforced this/aligned this image in the populace's mind and so he went to war which England couldn't afford monetarily but Henry felt was needed to furbish up his image/kingdom as his kingship was being tarnished from his marriage reputation/lack of sons, debasing the coinage, and not wanting to face his mortality, getting older, and fatter because he was always so big and "handsome" (although how little piggy eyes was handsome I have NO idea). His health actually improved while he was "leading" the war in Calais/etc but shortly after he came back it all caught up with him and he died an un-supreme death. ICK is really how it was.