Monday, July 11, 2011

Passion Flower Sketches

We have Passion Flowers in blossom at work. When Deborah and I were sharing our 12 by 12's at lunch last week, my unfinished Passion quilt was discussed.  I keep working on it and it keeps being a disappointment.  Yesterday, I made a few quick sketches for the "less than successful" areas.  My years of Botanically Correct Watercolor Painting causes so many problems when trying for a more abstract rendition.  Vague knowledge of plant parts is sometimes better than a deep knowledge. We talked about just letting that particular block "go".

I have a freezer paper "chair" ready to work on.  I have a tracing paper flower ready to layer with tulle for another experiment.  Deborah, finding the pad of tracing paper was quite the event here!!!  It's frustrating to KNOW you have something and then not be able to remember where you stored it.

In other daily news, my day at work Sunday was just as boring and hot as I suspected it would be.  I watered the entire perennial yard before having my lunch (1 pm) and have sunburned (kissed) shoulders to prove it.  I have such a deep tan already that there is no pain, just a bit of redness.  I had also gotten sun on my shoulders Saturday while watering and weeding my own garden at home.  Different tops, so different lines.  I remember my grandmother with the same deep brown tan that I now have.  She spent the entire morning in her vegetable garden.

This morning, I did some internal gardening.  I transplanted my infant Gloxinias to larger pots.  I found the largest plastic saucers that I could fit inside my antique birdcage on the sunporch and then arranged, (repotted as necessary), the ivy, wandering jew and the chicken gizzard plant.  Carried the Amaryllis outside to the deck, fertilized and watered them.  Watered the orchids.  Checked on the status of the citrus (I have kumquat, Calamondin Oranges, dwarf orange and a new, very sad Meyer Lemon), watered the Patio tomato and Riley and I went out front to water the four Sun Gold tomatoes by the front walk.

G mentioned that I might have too many tomato plants AGAIN this year.  I said, "oh, I only have 3 Arkansas Travelers, 9 Early Girls, 2 Brandywine, 9 Mortgage Lifters, one San Marzano and the 4 Sun Gold."  I actually said this with the conviction that this was fewer tomatoes than I have ever had.  My summer squash plants already have tiny fruit growing.  So cute.  I picked more peas yesterday.  Ate the few remaining strawberries on my plants.  Noticed that the blueberries are getting bigger.  The raspberry bushes are covered in Japanese beetles.  G and I really need to dig the raspberries up and get them out of my garden.  Stupid place for me to have decided to plant them.  I spread more Little River compost (local company) on my lettuce seeds, gave the beets some compost, gave the newly encircled (with black plastic edging) squashes some additional compost.  I need to open my vegetable fertilizer and give everything a July "boost".  The containers will get a good drink of fish emulsion water.

I had to stop typing and get something to eat.  I wasn't hungry yesterday after work so only had 2 ounces of cheddar before bed, no dinner.  I woke up and was still not hungry.  Eventually had two HB eggs. Coffee.  Now, suddenly, I feel dizzy.  So I am having organic low carb yogurt, protein powder and stewed rhubarb sauce.  Perhaps 10 net carbs.  I am forging my own path.  Adjusting my water intake to the tightness or loose-ness of my wedding ring.  I have been following the low carb rules for 63 days now.  I counted the daily entries in my journal.  Could not believe it's been two full months. Other than being more comfortable in my clothing and having NO food or snack cravings, I see no observable difference in my appearance.  G and my daughter say they do.  No one else has mentioned seeing any changes.  Today is beef chili and a large green salad.  Later.

I still have my Pilates and the dog walk to look forward to --- but later.  Right now, I think I will just let myself adjust to the day.  It's summer.  I need to go into town and get my glasses adjusted (I banged them against the air conditioner while adjusting the hose) and I think that is the main reason for feeling dizzy, and buy G some more yogurt and cereal.  I may need more lettuce.

No comments: