Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bounty From My Garden- Summer Squash

And this is a vegetable I can eat on my diet.  Even with added olive oil and butter.  I got 6 squash from the garden and another 8 from a local farmer.  They were all sliced thinly on my mandoline along with two onions.  I am now letting them steam and sweat down into a "lesser amount" then I will uncover the pot and let them cook slowly to a lovely, deeply, madly, deliciously brown mess.  And then G and I will each try to keep the larger portion for ourselves.  I am using my French cast iron cooking pot for the first time with the squash.  Things are moving along at a faster pace.  I must be attentive.

Thank you for all your good wishes regarding our "date" last night.  It went very well.  We sat and ate good food and chatted for 2 hours.  A long married couple.  Wowza!  My sleepless night caught up with me when we got back home.  My head was swimming (and I hadn't had a drop of anything but water to drink).  I woke with a sinus headache this morning.  Lord, I don't like summer.

One of the wait staff last night had on orange Crocs with slate blue pants and a Provencal blue shirt.  I instantly thought of the new blog "look" and now I want orange Crocs.  I already have the shirt.

G is trying to repair the ceiling fan in the living room.  He changed out the dimmer switch and now the fuse keeps blowing.  We don't know yet if the fan has a burnt motor.  IF it does, we are going out to get another.  But first, we need power to the outlet.  G assure me that any shock he gets won't kill him.  Nice "pop" out of the electric circuit breakers just now.  G is just standing there trying to think about what is hooked up wrong.  The fan is now working again.  Hurrah!! (but the hall closet has no power but G thinks it might be the 25 year old light which burned out)

It's not like the Florida house (our first house) where G set the wiring in the dryer on fire and then was trapped behind the washer.  Now, that was a memorable and scary moment.  For both of us. There were so many really exciting moments during the 8 months we owned that house.  It would make a great book.  Like Marley & Me.  Fire, roof leaks, flood, snakes (poisonous), gas leaks and a terrified guy trapped in the very tight, dark, hot attic with his belt snagged on a nail.  He never offered to help G out ever again. Not that we would ever DARE ask him a second time.

G is packing everything up.  The fan works again.  We will be cool while watching TV and reading our books.  Our next errand is the post office to mail two packages.  One to our son who turns FORTY on Saturday.  I had to use the calculator to figure out how old he was going to be this year.  I still think he's 18.  And the second to Deborah.  I had promised it would greet her when she returned from her trip.

We have to stop at Big Lots as they have more Crocs on sale this week.  Or they DID.  They could be out of them by now.  They did have orange last time I was there but I passed on such bright shoes.  I had no idea I would want orange in July.  It's the 12 by 12 color for the next challenge.

1 comment:

Deborah Boschert said...

Oh! I'm so excited about the package! I have a pair of orange tennis shoes. Not athletic shoes that I might wear to the gym, but "fashion" shoes that look like sporty shoes. They are orange and I love them!