Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Two Lists

I have two "to do" lists on my desk.  They share a few items but both are full of tasks that involve a great deal of work.  Not in the actual doing; but in the prep work for the doing.  In order to move plants upstairs, I have to clear spaces upstairs.  By the way, isn't that painted fabric fabulous?

This morning (late start due to inability to fall asleep last night -- those lists?) I have managed to make two pieces of toast and eat them with the gorgeously delicious grape jelly I made; brown, nicely, a large on sale chunk of pot roast for a proper dinner tonight with mashed potatoes and gravy and dig around in pants pockets to find my lists.  I make lists at work.  Sometimes I stand by the phone, and even hold it to my ear, while I make lists or stare out the back doors.  This morning I have had 1.5 cups of coffee and plan to have another even though my heart rate feels a bit jumpy.

Riley gets a walk today.  I owe him a good walk.  And I do want to visit the library to get G a new book to read.  He's almost finished with the book he has and I don't think I have any reserves ordered for him. I had wanted to make another, final garden produce, pan of zucchini brownies since I found four tiny and one small zuke under the frosted zucchini leaves on my last garden visit.  I also have chard to saute.  These things aren't on my lists. Now they are.

Weeding violets out of the garden is on my lists as is planting tulip bulbs. Which will wait until the sun comes out a bit more strongly.  It's still cold out there.

I decided I want one of those instant hot water things that gives you as much hot water as you want in the shower.  I don't want it hooked up to anything but the showers.  I want to be able to stand in the hot water until I am ready to be done and not have to stop because the water is getting cold.  And because it will be producing hot water for only two showers a day, I don't care what it costs.  It's not like it will be on all day, sucking energy like a starving vampire.

And I have a final design plan for the master bathroom.  Fitting in all the parts that need to be in there and making it a nice, elegant master bath (except for the washer dryer stack).  I see, on other blogs, that it is best to do both baths when you decide to do one.  They are next to each other.  Good thing we have a third, full bath upstairs.  I need to ask around for recommendations for someone to do the work.  I want in floor heat. Tile. Glass doors instead of shower curtains.  Bowls instead of sinks.  The hall bath just needs a new tub and faucets, new floor and lighting.  New paint.  The master needs a complete tear out and rearranging of everything but the area with the double vanity.  I think I need the professional for the tile, floor heat and plumbing.  G and I can manage to install the vanities, sinks, lighting and faucets ourselves.  Unless we get something complicated in the showers and I will let the plumber do that.  I think warm floors is the way to go in Maine.

A commenter mentioned her two weeks in Maine and the large amount of lobster she ate while here.  It made me sad.  I never had a lobster in 2010.  Not one lobster roll this summer, even though I mentioned wanting one several times.  I'll just have to have twice as much next year, huh?

Other commenters mentioned the lack of respect for older Americans.  I find the lack of respect interesting since the Baby Boomer generation (of which I am one of the earliest members) is LARGE and we learned from our parents to save money and live well.  We are also one of the best educated generations with more college educated members than ever before us.  I think, IMHO, that WE should control more of what is going on, our interests should define television and politics and not the interests of our teenage grandchildren (who seem to be the advertiser's darlings) or the under educated Christian right.  I am not interested in vampires or werewolves. Not interested in whatever "hiphop" is.  Or Rapping. I know how the earth was created and it wasn't in seven days.

If I could JUST decide on a new fridge this easily.

2 comments:

Diane N said...

I agree with your comments on programming. I hate, hate, hate all the reality shows on TV now. "Hi, put me on TV and I'll act like an ass." What happened to TV that was well crafted and brilliantly written? I am also sick of vampies and werewolves. It would be great to see a TV show that depicted real people (not doctors and lawyers)and was well written and genuine. Anything I like is gone is less than 60 seconds. Two episodes and goodbye. Something centered on relationships between people, families, neighbors, etc... and I do not mean sex, promiscuity, and cougars or whatever they call older women this second. We have 250 channels and still nothing to watch most of the time.

As for education, I am facebook "friends" with some of my friends kids whoare in law school, college, etc... I can't believe what they think is OK behavior and what they think are OK photos to put out there for everyone to see. Man, oh man!

Annie said...

Speaking of tv, has anyone watched Parenthood? Tuesday evening 10pm NBC. It's a nice family relationship drama, just what Diane N was looking for. I enjoy it very much.

: )