Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Breakfast With Joanne

I got up and dressed for work, only to find it was only 8:19.  Now it's  9:18.  And I don't leave for work until 11.  It's 40 degrees outside and I don't feel like "gardening" out there right now.  Riley went out to bark at the garbage collectors and then wanted to come back inside as he also thinks it's too cold.

I fell asleep during DWTS last night and gave up and went to bed at 10 pm.  I have no idea why I am so tired at night but it may be the changing seasons and the light.  I spend so much time outdoors (at work) that my body is probably attuned to the rhythms of nature.  And it is probably why I am craving carbs.  Packing on the fat to keep me warm through the winter months.  On that note: I managed to pack my fat butt into a pair of last year's work pants.  Zipping was a challenge.  Keeping my undies in place is another. But I am real happy to be wearing actual cold weather pants and not thin summer weight ones.  The sun is shining right now but it will be dark outside when I drive home tonight.

While out in the garden yesterday, tending to the compost pile, I tried a leaf of Swiss chard, again.  And then picked a handful to see if it tastes different cooked.  It does.  I added onion, olive oil and less than the required amount of garlic.  I stir fried the onion and chard stems first and then added the leaves, cut into ribbons.  It was tastier.  And a good source of iron and vitamin K (also very bright red stems and pretty leaves) so I will be picking more and eating it. If I was the sort of person who ate grilled chicken, I could imagine the stir fried chard being a very tasty addition to each fork full of chicken.  Perhaps I can grill a piece of chicken in the panini press until it's crispy and well done and then eat it with some more chard?  Crazy.

I am driving G's pick up truck to work today.  When we first bought it, I drove it to work everyday. Hauling all sorts of stuff to and from work.  Today I will be hauling bags of dirt and a winterberry shrub (Winter Red) and it's pollinator "Southern Gentleman".  The "gentleman" sets berries on the female plant and doesn't even bother to try looking attractive.  Most gardeners try and put the pollinators behind other plants so it can't be seen.  But no "gentleman"--- no berries.  This is another "wet feet" shrub for the vernal pond area over on the western side of the yard, otherwise known as the "swampy place where Riley does his business".  I bought a well worn (on deep discount) pussy willow for that area last month.  A real trooper (Zone 2) and it has the potential to grow to 20 feet tall.  The willow joined a river birch and a blackberry bramble. This area is full of water in the spring and then dries up the remainder of the year but is still damp enough to produce tons of mosquitos.  Which are still out there biting me.

I had to pick up and carry three huge red twig dogwoods for a customer yesterday and I think they might look good out there in my swamp also.  The red twigs poking out of snow cover all winter.  We keep getting new product in the Nursery and it is tempting to bring stuff home for the garden. Digging them in is another story. Yes.  I pick up large potted shrubs and trees and carry them inside or to cars for women the same size as I am.  I even carry them for guys.  Because they don't want to get dirty. I have a great deal more upper body strength than I had three years ago.

Tonight I hope that Bristol the Pistol is sent home or The Situation on DWTS.  I am so happy that Bruno has decided to give people a real honest evaluation.  He said "that was terrible" last night.  And the judges gave out 4's.  That's really low.  The Situation got 12 points out of 30 for his lame "dance".  He stood in one place and waved his arms. He must have been channeling Hasselhof who stood in one place and flexed his knees (oh, so not sexy).  Jennifer Grey was fantastic.  And she's 50.  29 points.  I hope I can stay awake.

No comments: