Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Rain

Riley is huddled into the dog bed with a big stuffed dinosaur in his mouth, comforting him.  The wind is blustery and it's cold and wet.  These are things my hunting dog doesn't like.  He likes sunshine and soft warm breezes.

From the sounds roaring past the house during the early morning hours, I thought the trees out back would be bare of any leaves by the time I finally dragged myself out of my own bed.  My dog and I have a few things in common.  But the golden yellow maples are still full of leaves.  This year I have taken the time to notice the many maples on my property.  I would have sworn that all the trees were pine or oak.

I found out yesterday that N and I will be teaching the Backyard Birds class.  Short notice again.  We are going to discuss habitat and plants and not much about birds themselves, which I know next to nothing about.  When our son was still living here at home (long, long ago), he kept a bird diary of the different birds he saw outside.  It was fun discovering who they were. Bluejays, Finches, Catbirds, Flickers and one elusive Hawk.  And we heard but never actually saw the Woodpeckers.  I have his bird list around here somewhere.  I should find it.

I am working today.  You can't imagine just how cold and unpleasant an outdoor, unheated job can be on this kind of October day.  Or you can.  Just think about standing outside in the rain and wind and then being wet and cold inside for a few hours.  Shivering.  I am pouring the remainder of the pot of coffee into the Thermos and reheating it at work (if we have power).  The lights are flickering here at home. I guess I will have soup again, for lunch.  Or I could have chili beans.

My nose is running, I have a rubbing irritation in my left eye, my pants feel too tight (all my clothes feel too tight today) and I have a list of undone projects hanging over my head for this evening.  A good day to call out sick.  But I won't.  We are too short staffed and it just makes it harder for everyone else at work.  I hate when a call out makes my day at work more miserable.  Hard to do it to others.

1 comment:

dee said...

Hope your day isn't a freezy as you imagine. It's very windy here and the leaves are flying. No rain today though.

Roger is finally in rehab. Not far from our house. At least we're heading in the right direction...sigh