Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Halloween/Christmas

The retail world rushes holidays along.  Halloween is on sale and Christmas Trees are being decorated at work this week.  Ornaments, Santas and boxes of lights.  No wonder I am never ready for any "actual" holiday.  This weekend we are having Pumpkin Carving Classes.  This means you can buy a half price pumpkin and make a mess carving it in the greenhouse and not at your house.  I worked carving day last year, but this year I am not.  So no pumpkin seeds to roast.

Today I get my haircut.  And it really needs to be cut.  It's a shaggy, lopsided mess right now and no amount of wetting it down and adding product makes a bit of difference.  I look frumpy.  And old.  Change of seasons (fall to winter) always makes me feel old and frumpy.  The heavy clothing.  Always being chilled.  Feeling like my "to do" list is always the same five items which never get done.

And added to that, a "new" something.  After my shower each evening, I have about an hour of opportunity to read the paper or watch the news before I fall sound asleep.  Normally, I am awake till midnight or 1 am.  Now I am sound asleep at 8:15.  I missed ALL of DWTS on Monday.  Slept through the whole show, even though G tried to wake me for the dancers I enjoy watching, and at 10 I got up and climbed into bed and slept till morning.  I have ALWAYS had a very difficult time falling asleep. This is very strange.  Permanent???

Accordingly, the TiVo is full.  I will try and watch a few hours of recorded stuff this afternoon so there will be room for more recording.  I have two Wallanders (PBS), two Fringe, and a bunch of other things that only I watch.  I save the other stuff for when G watches with me.  Usually, we catch up on shows on Friday and Saturday when there is nothing to watch in real time.

I have been working.  The greenhouse is cold in the morning and hot around lunchtime and then cold and dark by closing.  We have mealy bugs and whitefly.  The mums are just about finished and the poinsettias are just about ready to arrive.  Winter flowering stuff is arriving slowly.  Christmas cactus and citrus trees.  Clivia, jasmine and gardenia should be coming soon.  Amaryllis is always late.

We have been eating soup, pasta and pizza.  Easy to make and plenty of leftovers for other dinners and for my lunches at work.  I want to make French Onion soup today and need to buy a loaf of real bread that won't go soggy in the soup.  I have several choices near the salon where I get my haircut, which reminds me that I need to get dressed and GO.  Appointment is at 10.

2 comments:

Diane N said...

I think if I worked in a greenhouse I would owe money at the end of the week. Too much temptation with all the new things coming in all the time.

I don't envy you the work or the discomfort, though, or the tiredness. And you are not the only one who is cold and tired. Many of my friends have remarked that they are so tired and we have all been complaining that we are chilled and can't get warm. I started the wood stove last night just to warm up. I don't know why everyone feels so different this fall. Or perhaps we always do but there's too much time betwen last year and this year to recall properly??

Wishing you a good day and most importantly, a great haircut!

Annie said...

I do hope you get to watch your recorded Wallanders. I love that PBS series, great television.