Friday, January 01, 2021

Daily Notes On the First Day of 2021


 There is no Rule that says a picture has to actually be a picture.  It can be words.  We did eat CAKE for supper last night.  At around 10pm.  I wonder if most people in isolation eat meals at strange and sometimes wonderful times during the day?  I remember one day when I had breakfast three times before noon.  I was just hungry.  And didn't really need any other food that day.

The NYTimes has another recipe for bread this morning.  I got to read the notes- sometimes the NYT allows access to the notes etc. for non subscribers.  The notes on recipes are fascinating.  I once had a free subscription for 12 weeks.  I read the notes on recipes like it was an ongoing saga of "what not to do". I find that really well educated people have very little real practical knowledge.  I now have a list of ingredients for the recipe- simply flour, yeast, salt and water.  I have it in grams and ounces.  I have multiples of many many different equations.  Different processes.  Obviously no one decided to follow the recipe as written.  Or did.  And found the NYT recipe to be incorrect.  As it often is. This was way more fun than the crossword puzzle.

The Sun is shining here in Maine.  A very Cold Sun.  But my Christmas Tree brightens the dark here inside the house.  Six more days.  I take the tree down on January 6th.  And then it goes out back and shelters birds and animals the rest of the Winter.  This year we will secure it to the post in the back fenced garden.  Standing tall with zip ties.  And I will see it from the kitchen windows each day. Usually it stands next to the compost pile.  Also a great spot for small animals to find a frozen but tasty meal.  Vegetable peels, etc.  I will miss the tree.  I do each and every year.

My new calendar already has four date squares decorated with little drawings and colored pencil.  Reminders of events- in cartoon type drawings and not words.  One- for today- reminds me to Pay Bills. My little dollar store marker pens are rapidly drying up so I have a tall can of very nice colored pencils for the rest of the year.  I like the painterly quality of the pens.  But I will get used to the pencils.  I can usually get used to almost anything.  Not like it.  Not enjoy it.  Just get used to it.  Well, not Trump. I never got used to him. Ick.

No comments: