Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Rainy Day & Language Lessons

Which is just what the garden needs.  The red shoots are peonies with their loopy cages dancing overhead. The daffodils are standing tall next to the already bloomed out hyacinth.  All the brown is recently weeded area.  Yes, I did that.  And I tossed all the weeds (mostly grasses) out into the area around the vernal pool. Some of it "takes" and grows.

I have been trolling the internet for garden construction ideas (for a class I want to add to the line up).  I found a shade lath house on the Martha Stewart site and (duh!) finally figured out how to get "print ready" documents.  I also printed out two terrarium to do's and a plant stick craft.  Now I need maple branches.  Wish I had had that plant stick craft last weekend for my class.  They would have LOVED it.  Instead I made cutworm collars from cereal boxes. Also, fun and worthwhile but not as cute as the sticks.

Last night, while watching DWTS, I realized today was a day off and I could indulge in Farty Cereal for my breakfast.  That thought made me deliriously happy.  Not the farting.  That isn't all that wonderful but the cereal is very good.  And I plan to go to the grocery store for fresh pineapple to eat with my yogurt.  And the library for books to read.  I think one on yoga, one on gardening and one mystery.  I hope I can get in and out without embarrassing myself.

Yesterday at work, the French Teacher stopped and chatted with me regarding vegetable gardening.  The French Teacher is beautiful, blonde (30's) and rude in a way only the French have perfected.  The last time I was helping her, a young MALE coworker walked by and she waved me off with her hand and cooed to him "help me, please?".  Oh, yes, indeed.  Yesterday we were alone and shared gardening tips and I promised her a recipe for pickles.  She shared by mentioning that she ate 3 cabbages a week (cole slaw).  Could that be how she stays so slim?  Who knows.  

I also helped some other foreigners.  There are many, many very wealthy people living in Maine for the spring and summer (or perhaps all year) who have few, if any, English language skills.  They migrate my way because of my talent for not speaking any foreign languages but giving the impression that I do, indeed, understand them.  Oddly enough, they are correct.  Yesterday I think we were doing Spanish or another romance language.  Last week, Greek.  The Germans are easiest as that is the language I almost, actually, understand.  But the French.  oo, la, la.  You know I love it!  Give me a tall French guy of a certain age to chat with regarding gardening?  Yes, please.

Two summers ago I had a fascinating half hour with a lovely Spanish woman with the Barcelona lisp wearing a silk slip dress with tiny threadlike straps and, my guess, absolutely no undies.  We were buying sweet red peppers for our vegetable garden.  The loader boys didn't know what to do with themselves.

On that note: I am getting dressed (with undies and a rain jacket), going forth into the rain.

5 comments:

Diane N said...

Anyone who eats three heads of cabbage per week, French or no, can definitely give your farty cereal a run for its money. Ooh la la to that!

Terry Grant said...

When my friend Muriel and I were in Mexico a couple years ago there was a French woman in the same hotel and we kept sitting with her at breakfast. We were loving the gorgeous big Mexican breakfasts and she would have a tiny piece of fruit and black coffee every morning. She was perfectly dressed, coiffed and wore elegant, delicate shoes, while we were in our wrinkled capris, T-shirts and big, sturdy walking shoes. We could tell we disgusted her. We imagined her telling her French friends about " ze crude Americains, who eat ze bacon and wear ze oogly shoes." It cracked us up.

dee said...

Not sure what cracks me up more today. You or the comments.Terry's especially.
Puts me in mind of my Oma. She could know all about a persons character by the way they dressed and if you lived near her and hung your wash on the line she would give a daily run down on who had holes in their undies and was, clearly, worthless as a wife and human being. Nothing like German judgement...a trait that I have, happily, not inherited.
I, of course, never measured up from day one. She would have loved Roger's sleep T-shirts. You could nearly see through them but he begged me not to throw them away. Such fun memories.

Hand Quilting Nana said...

I "hear" a happiness in your voice today. Wonderful!

I eat lots of cabbage too by way of coleslaw. I have finally perfected the perfect recipe but I have to say it isn't doing anything for my weight. Guess it's all the Hellman's in it! LOL

Have a wonderful day!

Linda

Michael Chiarello said...

Hi,

There are many factors in evaluating an online program. You'll need to look for the delivery method that best suits your needs. Online learning requires a certain amount of self-discipline, you may want to look at your particular learning style. Thanks a lot...

Study Chinese In China