Saturday, January 15, 2011

Minus 2

I had to get up in the dark this morning to go somewhere.  It was dark and minus 2 outside.  I took a hot shower, dressed, filled my Thermos with coffee, let the dog out/in, added a coat and gloves to the outfit and hit the road.  About 10 minutes into the drive I got to thinking about how long I could safely (warmly) walk if the car broke down.  No hat.  No scarf.  No boots.  Thin gloves.  Stupid.

I don't want to be one of "those people" who wear a light coat in minus 2 degree weather because they get in the car in the garage and are just going to work or the grocery.  Bad things can happen.  You have to be prepared for any bad thing that happens.  Extra clothes (in case yours get wet), warm coat, warm gloves, HAT, windshield washer (an extra bottle), ice scraper, blanket, matches, flashlight and candy bars.  A bottle of water would be great also.  Shovel.  Bag of cat litter.  I should have had a scarf, hat and good warm mittens just in case.  Because I don't have a cell phone.

The picture at the top of the post is out the back door this evening.  After I let Riley out.  See the snowblower paths that G made for the dog?  From the porch to the right, down past the garden and around the back of the garden and back to the house.  When Riley runs in the cut out paths, I can see the very top of his head and his tail.  Can you see our little shed way back on the right?  It's snowing tonight and on Tuesday it's going to RAIN.  I friggin hate it when it rains on top of nice snow.  Making a hard, icy mess. Ruining winter.

I got a bunch of envelopes from the Bureau of Unemployment for my "new" benefit year.  So, I don't get a check for this week.  But when I do get a check (next week) it will be $18 higher than last year.  Woo Hoo.  That 25 cent an hour raise is paying all sorts of dividends.

Did you read about what the new Governor of Maine said yesterday?  The NAACP can kiss his butt.  And before the election he told local fishermen that if he saw President Obama he would tell him to "go to hell". No reason. But our Governor isn't a Tea Bagger.  He's just...... ignorant?  Maine's population is 98% white. We don't have much in the way of ethnic diversity.  A few native Indian tribes and some Somalian refugees.  (I know I spelled that wrong and I plan to look it up after I post)  Still not a viable excuse for the things he is saying.  Gonna make George Bush and Sarah Palin look like Rhodes Scholars. Just my opinion.

1 comment:

kathy said...

I don't think it's too much to ask of a governor to TRY to use higher vocabulary words as much as possible and leave the street slang behind. And he probably has more up his sleeve, scarily enough.