Monday, January 24, 2011

A Fresh Start?

G moved this chair from the living room to the room where we spend most of our day.  It could be a dining room or great room (but too small for such a modifier).  When we moved here, we used the room in the same way the previous owner had used it.  We had a couch facing the woodstove hearth, chairs, carpet and the main television here in this room.  We discovered the high (14 feet) cathedral ceilings were very chilly in the winter and the small area in front of the bay window was a bit tight for family meals and all the chairs.

That's when I moved the couch and television into the L part of the huge (but never used) living room and we had a cosy, warm place to read books, watch television and in G's case, sleep.  The living room has now become a huge dog play room.  With Riley's toys and bones scattered over the carpet and the chairs and couch pushed back to open a large play area.  He and G "play" in this area every morning.  Riley goes and gets a toy and he and G "play" with that toy for a few minutes and then Riley runs off to get another out of his overflowing toy basket.  My last task before bed, is to collect all the toys and return them to the toy basket in the kitchen part of the "not so great" room, ready for morning.

We seem to be moving backwards in time.  G set up the chair yesterday after he vacuumed the floors.  It sits in the south/west corner.  The entire corner has baseboard heat (which the chair is now blocking).  G sat down, turned on the television, opened his book and fell asleep.  Just about that quickly.  I was busy making chicken soup and ironing shirts (9).  The whole plan was to give me a cozy place to sit and read while unemployed this winter.  I shall try it out later today.

We (Riley and I) woke to minus 9 temps.  I am sure it was much colder overnight.  The high for today will be 4.  The sun is shining.  Today will be the fourth day of my Pilates workout.  I have looked for excuses not to do the work.  But I have gone upstairs anyway.  Once I do the first exercise I am hooked.  The hour or more goes past so quickly.  And I found, the second day, that walking the dog immediately after exercise is a very good thing.  I felt good walking.  So that is what Riley and I will do.  I will exercise from 11 to 12 and we will walk from 12 to 1 and then I will have a lovely shower and read in my reading chair.

I have also gone back to my food diary and 1200 calories a day.  It will be difficult but I can no longer ignore the weight.  This is one of the major reasons I have for not going up to exercise.  Getting down on the floor is a major "moment".  A reality check, of sorts.  I hate it.  When I feel bad about myself it is difficult to feel good about anything else in my life.  That is where I am right now.  But I know I feel feel wonderful after my Pilates.  And during.

No comments: